1. Default sedona to san diego

Hi I am planning a trip from las vegas to grand canyon staying in Williams then Sedona before driving to San Diego. We don't want to drive for longer than 4 hrs a day as the kids get restless. Any ideas on somewhere to stop on the way from Sedona for an overnight stay.
    Thanks

Default Limited Choice

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You really only have two options for an overnight stop between Sedona and San Diego. Gila Bend is a bit less than half way while Yuma is a bit farther than halfway; there is not much at all in between. Gila Bend will have some facilities, but they will be limited. Those in Yuma will offer many more options. If you take advantage of Phoenix on the way, taking a significant break there and a shorter break in Gila Bend, then I think you should be able to make it to Yuma without too much trouble. That would then leave you with a shorter drive on day 2 to San Diego which will include some slightly slower driving as you cross the Jacumba Mountains.

AZBuck

You are kind of between a rock and a hard spot - there is absolutely nothing between Gila Bend and Yuma except for some RV parks. Gila Bend (which has very few hotels) is about a 3 hour drive from Sedona. It's close to 2 more hours to get to Yuma. Yuma to San Diego is 3 hours. You are going to have to stretch one of the 2 days, and I'd probably go with Buck's advice here - break up the day in Phoenix and head for Yuma.

I looked at the I-40 and I-10 options - stop in Needles or Blythe - but that's going to be a longer drive and put you near LA traffic or have you going cross-country through the desert on 2 laners.

4. Default sedona to san diego

Thanks for info. Had thought of Palm Springs which is a longer drive on the first day but thought I would end up with the L.A. traffic which I want to avoid. Will look at your plan now. Thanks

5. Default sedona to san diego or grand canyon to san diego

Just wondering if I am making a mistake by going to Sedona from Grand Canyon. Should I take different route. This is our first trip to Arizona and California and since we come from Ireland we want to do the best route. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Default Works for Me

Williams and Sedona would make a very nice one-two punch for places to stay while exploring the Grand Canyon and surrounding area. When you drive down to Sedona, be sure to take US-89A (may be marked as (AZ-89A) south from Flagstaff through Oak Creek Canyon. While you're at it, your kids might also enjoy the train ride from Williams to the Canyon.

AZBuck

The mapping programs do take you near Sedona when you map out the best route from GC to SD. However, it's only 60 miles from Williams to Sedona. Are you planning on spending a day there?

Something to look at - it's about 140 miles from the GC itself to Sedona, using the east entrance and US-89 to Flagstaff. That way, you could visit the Cameron trading post.

8. Default thanks for info

Thanks for all your advice. Think I'll stay with the Williams and Sedona option and then go to Yuma. This is a great forum.
    Thanks again