Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Houston to Vegas ( Newbie from the UK!)

Hi,

Great site!

I live in the United Kingdon and i am planning on going to houston to visit some relatives and then driving to Vegas (then back to houston of course). Although I have driven in the USA before i have never driven this many miles! We plan on doing it in two cars (an SUV and a two seater sports car) there will be five adults including 4 drivers. I want to stop over to the see the grand canyon on the way back as well.

I will be doing the road trip between the 3rd of March to the 11th of March 2009. Any help would be most appreciated as i have never done this sort of thing before!

Zed

Default splits

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Considering its about a 3 day one-way trip from Houston to Vegas, before you stop at the grand canyon, you don't really have that much time to work with. I'm not sure how much time you're hoping to spend in Vegas or the Grand Canyon, but there certainly are plenty of other things that you could stop at along the way. Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, or the Petrified Forest are just a few of the options that would be fairly easy detours.

Is there a reason that you are taking 2 cars here? There's nothing wrong with a caravan type trip, but I'd think you'd probably be able to comfortably fit all 5 people into an SUV. That would certainly save on some expenses, plus you'd be able to much more easily split up the driving.

3. Default

Cheers for the reply buddy!

Well the reason for two cars is me kind of fulfilling my ambition to drive a long distance in an American sports car (you see I am BIG car enthusiast). The SUV would hold the passengers and mainly offer a bit of comfort for our older travellers (my ma and pa).

The plan is to leave Houston 3rd of March and return to Houston on the 11th of March. I have not really worked out the middle part but that is the time frame I am working to. My main objective is to visit my relatives in Houston and Vegas and drive on your amazing American road network.

What dangers would I have to look out for driving that distance? What route would you recommend? It seems that the I10 is the most direct route.. i think.

Also are there any areas on the i10 that you don’t recommend a tourist to stop?

Zed

Default One way an option ?

Hi Zed,

Well the reason for two cars is me kind of fulfilling my ambition to drive a long distance in an American sports car
    Being a car nut I understand where you are coming from.

The only thing is, I was going to ask if you have considered flying into Houston and out of Vegas, but this would cost more in one way drop off charges and would be best served in one car.
    As Michael pointed out you are looking at the best part of 6 days travelling and although it could be done in less time it might not suit your folks. With 6 days you are looking at being on the road 8- 9 hours a day. This is only going to leave you 3 days to visit folks in Vegas and visit G/C.

What dangers would I have to look out for driving that distance?
    The roads in the States are different to here in the U.K in the fact there are lots of wide, open, long stretches of uninterrupted miles and seem much less stressful. However the "dangers" are pretty much the same where ever you are and it's important to keep alert and not trying to push too far when your body clock is telling to stop are the usual suspects.

5. Default

Hi Mate,

Well one way does not seem to be an option really due to already booking the tickets however i am looking into increasing the amount of time so that we can spread the journey thanks to the advice from you guys. Its hard to switch to one car now because i have already payed on line to reserve the sports car.

Anyone know what kind of weather conditions i might be facing on my route?

cheers again

Default Unpredictable.

More time would be good ;-)

Anyone know what kind of weather conditions i might be facing on my route?
    The weather is unpredictable [as well you know living in the U.K] but you can get a good idea looking at forecasts and history data on a weather site like Wunderground.
    You should be looking at warm days and cool nights.[Fingers crossed]

7. Default

Hopefully we wont face too much bad weather.

8. Default Route

Now that I have 4 days each way for the journey can anyone advise me on what route to take? also where i should stop over for the night? i10 all the way ok?
    Last edited by ZED; 01-19-2009 at 03:42 PM.

I will be chastised for using the term "boring" so shall we say that I-10 across West Texas is - desolate. However, it is VERY fast, the speed limit through the sparsely populated counties in Texas is 80 mph (130 kph). If you go that way, it is an easy 3 day drive. The logical stops for 500 mile days would be Fort Stockton or Van Horn, TX, and Tucson or Casa Grande, AZ. From Phoenix, you would want US-60/93 to Kingman and Las Vegas. This will take you across the Hoover Dam.

Being that you have 4 days, you might want to examine different routes, there honestly is not very much to see and do along that particular route. Again, I may be chastised, there is always something to see and something to do anywhere.

Can you set the schedule where you can take 3 days going and 5 days returning? That would give you time to explore and go somewhere like the Grand Canyon on the way back.

Default Chastising, LOL

I live in a part of the country where there are trees, trees, and more trees. Mountains. Beaches. But mostly trees. Big trees. Are trees any more exciting than desolation? Or couldn't nothing but trees for miles be just another type of desolation? Or is this too philosophical for a travel forum?

What I'm trying to say is that the emptiness of places like Texas is unique and intriguing to me. I'm fascinated by it as it is so different from where I'm from. At the same time, trees rarely fascinate me anymore, although I do appreciate them.

Can you set the schedule where you can take 3 days going and 5 days returning?
    I like this idea. You can zoom through the desolateness in your fun car on the way there, and then spend a bit more time on the way back meandering and exploring.

I would make this a loop using I-10 on the way there and I-40 on the way back enjoying the old Route 66 things to see along the way. At Amarillo, you'll veer back down to Houston.