Default Saying Hi (and an overview of my upcoming trip)

Hello everyone! Figured I would say hi being that I have been checking out this site for a while and have started gathering supplies for my upcoming may trip. I have been talking about doing it for a while, now its time to be about it! I have chosen now for many reasons, you can pick anything from my recent graduation to the low gas prices…or I just think it will be fun!
    The trip in a nutshell will be Cerce (my husky) and I driving my van I bought off of ebay. As of right now a friend of mine I met Rome has mentioned coming along to make a documentary of the trip, but that is not certain yet. We will drive to any contacts that are given via facebook friends or from couchsurfing.com. We will eat any fish we catch or fast food we will have from a large amount of free appetizer cards from a food chain! We will sleep in the van or contacts houses and take baths in lakes, cricks, or contacts houses. I will have my x-box and hopefully a wii to play so we will not be driving all the time. All major interstates and highways will try to avoided because really, all interstates usually look the same! I will have pictures of the van after all of the "supplies" have been put in for everyone to see. If anyone from this site has facebook.com I have created a facebook group so everyone can see pictures of the van and my dog, its called “ A man, a Van, and a dog (cerce’s big trip story)” everyone is free to join!
    There has been a lot of interest from my facebook friends and as of right now. Because of this one guy right now wants to fly into LAX and be part of the trip to Boise via the coast of cali…so this site has been very helpful with planning that!
    My questions as of right now are
    -Has anyone used fishing before as a food source? Any trouble with having to have a fishing license for each state?
    -Has anyone managed to mount solar panels to their vehicle? My idea as of right now is to have an external battery charging during the day and use that battery at night while watching tv or to have lights.
    -Has anyone used couchsurfing.com as places to stay before? If so how was it?
    I will surely have more questions as this goes along, just figured I would share.

Chris

Default a problem

Welcome to the RTA Forum!
    -Has anyone used fishing before as a food source? Any trouble with having to have a fishing license for each state?
    You will need to get a fishing license in each state, so this actually could get very expensive, especially when you look at how much it costs when your not a resident of that state. Many states have some sort of short term fishing license available for out of state residents, but even those are going to make fishing a realtively expensive source of food.

Fishing without a license is not something you want to get caught doing, unless you like paying out hundreds of dollars in fines.

I will have my x-box and hopefully a wii to play so we will not be driving all the time. All major interstates and highways will try to avoided because really, all interstates usually look the same!
    Everyone has their own things that make a trip worthwhile, but personally, being on the road is a chance to explore new things and places. Its hard to do that if you spend your time away from the road playing video games. I find things like having tvs and video games end up being a crutch more than anything else.

Its also simply not true that all interstates look the same. There are some amazing places that you can only see from the Interstate. The attitude one takes when going into a roadtrip is a far more important part of finding interesting thing than what roads you take to get there.

3. Default

Trust me, I-70 from I-15 to Denver can't be see from any other road. As is I-90 from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Superior, MT.

I agree, though. A trip should be about exploring new places, seeing new things, etc. Not trying to save the princess.

Sykotyk

I figured I would need a license for each state, not to sure if I'm up to risking fines for not having one. I have been fishing back home for 22 years and never had any problems though, we will see I guess.

And it seems not that many people agree with the xbox idea. The reason I want the x-box is because I plan on parking the van in random locations for the night to sleep (walmart parking lots) for example. I think it would be nice to sit back and watch a movie or play a game a while before sleeping for the night. Im going to try as many things as possible for this trip to be reasonable in the cost area, as one can see from the fish idea and sleeping in the van.

Any other cost reducing ideas for a trip like this? Thanks for the replies!

Chris

Default Cost reduction

The best ways to save money is to eat out of your cooler and to camp. Even if you decide to fish your way across the country, you might not always catch anything. Plus you need variety to be healthy and maintain your energy. You can camp for free, called dispersed camping, on some National Forests. Check with the local ranger station to find out if it's available where you're at.

If you plan on visiting more than about four national parks on your trip, definitely get a National Parks Pass for $80.

One of the best places to park for the night is at truck stops. You don't have to be a trucker to do it. It's probably safer than most Wal-Mart parking lots as they are open 24 hours and people are in and out all night long.

About the x-box, using it to wind down before bed is cool. I think you gave off the impression that it would be how you'd spend your time.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 01-17-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added further comment

6. Default

Definitely truck stops. 24-hours, all the amenities you might need in the night. Relatively secure (I don't recommend staying inside big cities, the truck stops in rural areas are better), and they allow you to park there. Most other places will have an issue with a vehicle parking for a long while.

Obviously, Wal-Mart would have a tough time keeping track of your van parked there for eight hours, you never know. And waking up to some security pounding on your van at 3am isn't the time to find out.

Plus, truck stops offer showers ($5-$10 each). If you plan on living out of the van for a month, definitely utilize the truck stop showers for personal hygiene.

As for the anti-video game point, it's just that the experience of traveling should be your entertainment. Immerse yourself in it. When you're done for the night, go to sleep, get up, and start exploring again. Waiting TV, a movie, or playing video games can be done when you're home from the trip.

I can tell you in a year from your trip you're going to wish you had spent more time exploring, seeing more places, more roads, more landmarks, etc that you'll greatly resent yourself for wasting your time.

That's just my opinion.

Sykotyk

Well, playing video games isn't really much different than me getting on the wifi in a hotel room to check up on e-mail, forums, and weather/road conditions...........or reading a book till I fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 Econoline View Post
    I have been fishing back home for 22 years and never had any problems though, we will see I guess.
    In addition to the fines, things like fishing without a license are usually considered misdemeanors, which makes them more serious than say a traffic ticket where you would just have to pay a fine.
    And it seems not that many people agree with the xbox idea. The reason I want the x-box is because I plan on parking the van in random locations for the night to sleep (walmart parking lots) for example.
    A couple things here. First, I would issue a word of caution about parking in random places, or assuming that you can set up camp at Wal-Mart. Many cities have created ordinances to prohibit parking lot camping, and some individual stores simply might not allow it. Any time you are parking on private property, you need to make sure it is ok with the owners/manager. As has been mentioned, Truck Stops are usually your best bet here.

Second about the video games, I agree with Judy that your first post did give the impression that you would be relying on video games for the bulk of your entertainment. As I mentioned before, its your trip and you should do what you think will make for the best trip for you. I will just say again as a word of caution, that things like TV, Video Games, and even the internet can really easily become a crutch that prevents you from getting the most out of your trip. On a night where you don't otherwise know what to do, and you might have to get out and look around to find something -and where you're most likely to find something different and unique to the area you are in- it will be very easy just to instead stay in your van and play video games. . Its understandable, to a degree its human nature, and in this case it will be cheap/free while you are trying to keep a tight budget so it will be an even bigger temptation. Keep that in mind so you don't finish your trip and discover that despite going to a lot of places, you never really got out there.

Thanks for all the replies! You all are making really good points and its helping me plan the trip.

It is very true that when we are done driving for the day it would be better to explore the place I ended up that day. I will reconsider putting in the x-box...im sure reading will be better regardless.

I will post some pictures on here soon when I get more of the supplies in the van and its back from the shop (Check up).

Thanks again for all the replies!

Chris