1. Default working in the US/Canada

Hi all,

I would like to make a road trip through America and Canada. I gathered very usefull information on this website, but I was wondering if it is possible to earn some dollars during the trip, doing some jobs...I have to say that I am from Germany. Perhaps there are some problems with the visa and so on.
    Hope somebody can help me,

Thank you anyways!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default A huge difference

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Simply put, you can not work in the US with a standard tourist visa/visa-waiver. You need to get a visa that allows you to seek employment.

Coming from Germany you'd be eligable to participate in the visa waiver program, where you can come to the US for 90 days as a tourist without any significant paperwork. If you'd like to work in the US, you have to go through the much most extensive process to get a visa.

I'm not as familiar with Canadian rules, but I suspect they are very similar.

When you enter the US, you will have to prove that you are able to support yourself for your entire trip or you can be denied entry into the county and sent back home at your expense. If you are caught working under a tourist visa, you can be deported, and banned from traveling in the US in the future.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-16-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Factual Error - See Below

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    ........where you can come to the US for 6 months as a tourist without any significant paperwork.
    Ooops!! Michael. I think you mean 90 days. That certainly is what it is from downunder.

But as for the rest, Michael is quite right. If you want to work, you need to get a visa which allows you to work.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default my bad

You are correct, it is 90 days under the visa waiver, not 6 months. A regular tourist visa is usually valid for up to 6 months, perhaps thats what I was thinking of.

In any case, you need a work visa if you want to make money during your visit to the US.

5. Default

thank you for your responses...That was what I expected..So I probably need to get they money here in Germany. Thank you anyways.