1. Default Road Trippin' - plz help! =)

Hey there!

Just wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me with a few suggestions?

My friend and I are travelling to the US in March and were looking at doing a 3 night road trip leaving from Las Vegas and returning to Las Vegas. We were just wondering what might be the best path to take? We'd like to incorporate the Grand Canyon and a bit of the old Route 66 too...

Any suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps in advance! =)

Default What I would do.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

With just 4 days you are limited to where you can go, but you could do a nice loop.

Vegas > Hoover Dam> Old '66 Kingman to Crookton> Grand canyon South rim. It's doable in a day, but get an early start and watch a sunset.
    You will arrive at the Southern entrance so leave by the East entrance along Desert view drive which has many good viewpoints and stop at the Watchtower at the end before leaving.
    Head North to Page and Lake Powell, stop here or carry on towards Zion N.P in Utah.
    For Zion [very scenic] you can stay in the park or the lovely little town of Springdale. > Head back to Vegas down I-15.

While in Vegas a trip to Death valley is highly recommended.

Don't overlook the real possibility of jet-lag after a long haul flight. That together with having to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, can lead to a lethal combination. Make sure you are well rested before taking to the road.

Don't become another Peter Brock (Oz champion race / rally driver who jumped in a car after a long haul flight, and ended up in a coffin).

4. Default Roadtrippin'!

Hey there!

It's been a while since I checked back on my original post about roadtripping from Vegas through Arizona, now I can't find my thread!! lol

Just wanted to thank those who had responded to my original thread with their suggestions - all of which are much appreciated. =) So, thank you!

My friend and I leave Australia for the States on Monday - SO EXCITED!!!! The plan for our roadtrip has changed a wee bit, but I think we have most of it sorted. We are planning a 3 night round trip, Vegas to Vegas and hoping to take in the Grand Canyon on the first day, and the following 2 days we are planning on taking in a few other sights (eg. stopping at Winslow and Sedona) on our way to Phoenix and then heading back up to Vegas on Day 4. We realise we'll be doing a little bit of backtracking to take in Winslow but my friend wants to bring to life the Eagles' lyric of ''Standin' on the Corner on Winslow, Arizona'. haha

For those experts out there, does this seem like a feasible trip for the time we have (3 nights, 4 days)? I was hoping to get to Tucson and even as far as Tombstone, but realise there simply won't be enough time to take them in also. I'm a bit concerned about getting back to Vegas in time for our flight late afternoon, as fairly frequent stops will have to be made due to my bad back, and need to make the stops to stretch it out. Also, is there anywhere between Phoenix and Vegas that would be worth making as our last overnight stop so that we are closer to Vegas on the day of departure?

Sorry if this doesn't make a great deal of sense, my mind is feeling a little frazzled at the moment.

Any tips and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!! =)

Default Finding old posts.

Hi welcome back.

It's been a while since I checked back on my original post about roadtripping from Vegas through Arizona, now I can't find my thread!! lol
    I have now merged your threads. As new posts are made the others are moved down and eventually off the page. To find your original posts, click on your user name and you will see "show all statistics" in the mini statistics box on the right hand side of the page.
    This will then show all your previous threads/posts which you can click on and then post a comment as you would on the forum. This will bring that thread back to the top of the relevant page in the forum.

6. Default

Ah, thanks Dave! I did try doing a search, I must not have been looking at the right thing! =)

Default It's Feasable.

Hey,

For those experts out there, does this seem like a feasible trip for the time we have (3 nights, 4 days)? I was hoping to get to Tucson and even as far as Tombstone, but realise there simply won't be enough time to take them in also. I'm a bit concerned about getting back to Vegas in time for our flight late afternoon, as fairly frequent stops will have to be made due to my bad back, and need to make the stops to stretch it out. Also, is there anywhere between Phoenix and Vegas that would be worth making as our last overnight stop so that we are closer to Vegas on the day of departure?
    I think you are right,trying to add to much could take the enjoyment away from your trip and leave it all feeling a bit rushed. I have not been there but you could consider Lake Havasu as a stop before returning to Vegas.

When you visit G/C be sure to enter by the South entrance and leave by the East entrance along Desert view drive. It is a big part of the G/C experience and offers great views and the Old watchtower along the way. This will bring you to the 89 where you can head south back to I-40 passing Wupakti NM and Sunset crater and Walnut canyon nr I-40. If you left the G/C late the Cameron trading post offers food and accommodation as well as interesting shops. It's located a few minutes North on 89. You might want to carry on 30 miles past Winslow and stay in a Wig Wam in Holbrook.

While in the Sedona area if you have the time check out Red rock state park.

Have a great trip, and if you get time check in and let us know how it went.