1. Default Yellowstone Summer 09

Planning a trip to Yellowstone sometime in late May early June of 2009. I will be towing a travel trailer. I havent been since I was a kid so dont remember much. I will be coming from Southern Cal. Need some advice on a few issues.

1. How far can we make it in a day of driving? I will be allowing two weeks for the entire trip.

2. Planning on going up the I -15 , but coming home I want to drop in acroos Northern Nevada , Lake Tahoe and eventually come home on the 395. Any thoughts on my travel route?

3. Any reccomnedations on where to stay? I need at least a water and electric hookup. Also somewhere that allows dogs. I know its hard to find a campground that is a little spread out that has hookups , but I would prefer something a little wide open. The dogs tend to be more relaxed idf we are secluded.

4. How is the fishing in or around Yellowstone Park?

Any help I can get would be very helpful.

thanks,PMJEff

Welcome to the forum. Where in SoCal are you coming from? Knowing this would help to give you best routes.

Default tradeoffs

Welcome to the RTA Forum!
    1. How far can we make it in a day of driving? I will be allowing two weeks for the entire trip.
    We generally recommend no more than 500-600 miles of travel in a day for a multi-day trip. Considering that you will be pulling a trailer and will be traveling with an animal, I'd really try to keep it at or below the 500 mark.

2. Planning on going up the I -15 , but coming home I want to drop in acroos Northern Nevada , Lake Tahoe and eventually come home on the 395. Any thoughts on my travel route?
    Sounds good to me, there are lots of national parks, like Zion, Bryce or Great Basin to name a few, that would be easy detours if you'd like to add them to your route.

3. Any reccomnedations on where to stay? I need at least a water and electric hookup. Also somewhere that allows dogs. I know its hard to find a campground that is a little spread out that has hookups , but I would prefer something a little wide open. The dogs tend to be more relaxed idf we are secluded.
    I believe there is only one RV park with hookups inside Yellowstone. Its been my experience that if you are looking for a place with hookups, you're probably going to end with with a relatively smaller site. Dogs are allowed at campsites in Yellowstone, however, the park (and most national parks) isn't very dog friendly. Dogs are only allowed at campsites, or near roads and parking areas. They are not allowed on trails or any back country areas.

4. Default

Im coming from the High Desert area so the I -15 just a few miles from home. What are some routes I could use coming home?

Default Pets require special considerations in national parks

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Dogs are allowed at campsites in Yellowstone, however, the park (and most national parks) isn't very dog friendly. Dogs are only allowed at campsites, or near roads and parking areas. They are not allowed on trails or any back country areas.
    A dog in a national park can hamper your ability to explore. Sorry, but that's the truth and why we usually end up leaving our beloved dog at home when we visit national parks. This dog info page for Yellowstone might be a useful read. A quick google will give you some day boarding facilities for dogs near Yellowstone if you want to explore some areas where you can't take your dog.

Default Headed for home

Is this what you were thinking of?

Personally, having towed a trailer, I think I would keep my driving miles to no more than 400 per day. I just find that kind of driving more tiring and, of course, your speed will be a bit less. And you need some time to run the dogs here and there, too.

On the way to Yellowstone, you'll be mostly on interstates until you get close to the park. On the way home, you'll be driving some roads that are a bit more windy with more elevation changes. So add some extra time for that.

Since you're towing, I think I'd plan for 2.5 days to get there and at least 3 days to get home. Four would be more relaxing. That's just for the driving. Add any time you plan to spend in Lake Tahoe, Zion, etc.

It also depends how big a trailer you are towing, and what with. If you are dragging an 8000 pounder, I hope you have at least a 3/4 ton truck with a weight distribution/antisway hitch - or a 5th wheel.

Give you some idea's on your way home:
    Day 1: Leave Yell by its west entrance to Idaho Falls. Take us20 to Craters of the moon and visit this odd NM. Then drive to Twin Falls. The falls are great in spring. Stop at Perrine bridge for great overviews on Snake River and shake hands with Charlie Chaplin at the parkinglot.
    2. Take 93 south to Jackpot and Ely. A genuine desert drive but first part is not too exciting. Then take classic us50, called The loneliest Road in America (not tru but it's a gimmick) and drive to Eureka for the night. I always recommend driving us50 when in this area and never got complaints. If you can spare another day you could visit Great Basin NP but I would stay at the campground near this NP and not drive to Eureka that day.
    Day 3: Drive us50 to exit to nv361 and to Hawthorne. 361 really is a lonely road but in good shape. From Hawthorne to Lee Vining.
    Or, drive us50 all the way to Lake Tahoe and stop in Virginia City for a visit.
    Day 4: The drive south on 395. Bodie Ghosttown north of Lee Vining makes a great visit but part of the road to it is dirtroad. Explore Mono Lake. Have some food at Whoa Nellie Deli at the fuel station. South of Lee Vining take beautiful June Lake Loop. Near Mammoth Lakes is Devils Postpile NM but that'll take at least half a day for a visit. In Bishop is Erick Schats bakery with fine food (adjacent to the Best Western. In Big Pine is the road to the ancient Bristlecones but this also will take much time and not all that good with a travel trailer. Then just before Lone Pine is Manzanar NHS a former US/Japanes camp and Lone Pine has a lovely location at the foot of Mount Whitney and it's Alabama Hills. South of Inyokern on 14 is Red Canyon SP and prob. you already have been to the Airplane graveyard near Mojave.
    HTH
    Yeehaw

9. Default

Im very famliar with the 395 area near Mammoth. Most likely once we make it South of Tahoe we wont be stopping anywhere for any length of time. Any info on whats in Northern Nevada to see. Maybe around Elko, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain? How far is Great Basin National Park from Elko? Would it be to far out of the way to go to Great Basin and then head back over to Tahoe afterwards?

10. Default so cal to Yellowstone and back

Planning a road trip to Yellowstone in June of 2009. I will be coming from so cal but have to take a trek north to Mammoth to pick up my trailer. My plan is to cut across Nevada on US -6 and stay in Ely for a couple days. I want to check out Great Basin National Park. After that head north through Idaho then east. Anyone have any advice on my travel route? Reccomendations on RV parks?
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 04-03-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Moved post: part of the questions have already been answered