Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mapping question

Hey all - this may not be the place for this, but couldn't find a forum that seemed to fit it better.

New guy here. I took a series of 3 road trips with my dad a few years back. Would love to share more about them. I originally mapped them with microsoft streets and trips, but wanted a way to store information about the trips more interactively online. Over the years I've looked into different options, but have not found anything that would work. These road trips are pretty decent size (4000-5000 miles) and would like the ability to have waypoints for at least every night's stop, if not more. Here is an example of one of our trips:

Streets & Trips has a "save as web page" option. You could do that, then upload them to a webhost. You can either buy a domain and low-cost hosting, or your ISP may offer some personal webspace as part of your service.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Streets & Trips has a "save as web page" option. You could do that, then upload them to a webhost. You can either buy a domain and low-cost hosting, or your ISP may offer some personal webspace as part of your service.
    Thanks, I've actually own a couple of domains already, but i would much rather use a google maps or such type of solution, perhaps with links to pictures at the waypoints (maybe link off to my flickr page?).

Streets and Trips was good for the trip itself, but since it isn't meant to be a web app, I'm not really happy with the result it gets me.

It looks like you have already saved the map as a .jpg (the save as web page option saves it as a nice clean reasonably sized .gif) - what about using client-side image mapping software to link areas of the map to your pics?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It looks like you have already saved the map as a .jpg (the save as web page option saves it as a nice clean reasonably sized .gif) - what about using client-side image mapping software to link areas of the map to your pics?
    True, I do have it as a jpg, but as a better web experience - on a blog or such, I'd rather have a more dynamic map, where someone could zoom in and out, satellite view, etc. I don't mind re-entering the information if I had to.

Perhaps...seems that I saw someone say that this is limited to 25 way points?

I was kind of wondering if someone had written something using the google maps api or another mapping api.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Default Working on such a thing

I can tell you that RTA road geeks are working on such an application for our members use, but we are still a few months from beta....And you might find the trackr-eu option being discussed next door of some interest as well -- I've looked at some of the trackr-generated field reports and I really like the photo link options!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-15-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added a link to the other post

You may try something like www.everytrail.com It seems to allow you to map out your route and apply pictures and waypoints along it.

I don't know much about it.....just signed up last night.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-16-2009 at 10:33 AM.

To follow up on my suggestion of everytrail I just did a test track with everytrail.com and it worked out real good. You can give it a quick check here

Was able to log the output of my usb gps device in Hyperterminal and capture the data to a simple text file.

This all might not help much for your current issue but future trips if you can log your gps data this site is great for making it fit for presentation.