Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default RoadTrip from San Fransisco

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a road trip starting from San Fransisco on 11/12 April and flying out from San Fransisco on the 19th April. (i know its not that long!)

I was considering driving to the Grand Canyon and stopping off in LA and Las Vagas along the way. Does this sound too ambitious or is it possible? I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this roadtrip - I'm from the UK.

With Regards,
    Anthony

Hi, and welcome to the forum
    San Francisco to GCNP is at least a 12 hours drive one way and not much in between.
    Maybe consider something like this:
    San Francisco to Yosemite to Death Valley to Las Vegas and fly back Las Vegas-San Francisco or San Francisco, fly to Las Vegas, fly to Los Angeles and drive back on hw 1 to San Francisco. How long do you want to stay in SF itself?
    Yeehaw

Default L/A for a day ?

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

It is possible but will be a bit rushed. I would either drop L/A [it's huge and to get caught up in the urban sprawl for maybe just a day might not be worth it] or if possible you could fly out of Vegas for home.
    Yosemite is lovely but as you are travelling in April the Tioga pass [120] will not be open so you will have to travel South to get around the Sierra's.

I would do the long drive to Vegas, have a couple of days, drive to the canyon for a night or 2 and then head towards the coast[Morro Bay perhaps]. That will give you 3 days to enjoy the scenic coastal drive back up to S/F.

4. Default

Thank you both for your quick reply. It would help if I could spell San Francisco...oops.

I take on board what you say about there being nothing in between S/F and GCNP - just the experience of such a journey would be something. Living in the UK and right in the centre, Iím always 2/4 hours from any coast and the idea of driving 12 hours on one road is something worth doing (I know this might sound a little strange)

I had considered the Yosemite option but had read that the pass might be closed when Iím travelling.

Iíve actually managed to gain another day into the schedule (arriving into S/F on the Friday late morning) I would plan to leave S/F on the Sunday morning then:

Drive to LA/Hollywood 6 hours Ė if possible I would prefer to stay outside of LA are there any suggestions? Not so much specific hotels, but locations. (1 Day)

Then on to Las Vegas Ė 4/5 hours 2 Days (possibly)

Then onto GCNP 5/6 hours. (2 days)

Leave GCNP for S/F on Friday 3 days to get back to S/F for Monday afternoon flight. Any ideas of return journey from GCNP.

I very much appreciate your advice.

Do you have any suggestions on Maps to use?

Regards,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by d10u4v View Post
    I had considered the Yosemite option but had read that the pass might be closed when Iím travelling.
    Tioga Pass will be closed, however, you still could visit Yosemite National Park. You'll just have to enter/exit it from the west side of the Sierras.
    Drive to LA/Hollywood 6 hours Ė if possible I would prefer to stay outside of LA are there any suggestions? Not so much specific hotels, but locations. (1 Day)
    You might be able to do the trip in 6 hours, if you stick to I-5 and don't hit any traffic. However, that means you'll be totally skipping the pretty incredible coast highway.

LA is such a vast and sprawling areas that its not really possible to say one specific area where you can see the city. With your very limited time, I'd think of the couple things or the area of the city you'd like to see, and try to find a place close by.

Leave GCNP for S/F on Friday 3 days to get back to S/F for Monday afternoon flight. Any ideas of return journey from GCNP.
    I'd think this would be the best chance to visit Yosemite and possibly Death Valley or Sequoia NPs.

Do you have any suggestions on Maps to use?
    RTA's map recommendations can be found here. There is also a link in the left side of this page (right above the fuel cost calculator)

Ok, if you don't mind long drives maybe try this:
    Sun: Take the coastal route from SF to Monterey, Carmel, Point Lobos SR, Big Sur, Hearst Castle and drive to San Luis Obispo and stay at the Madonna Inn (you will like this!).
    Mon: It will take 10-11 hours to drive from SLO to GCNP south rim but you don't mind. I would skip LA this time.
    Tue: Explore GCNP. reservations at www.grandcanyonlodges.com
    Wed: Drive GC to Las Vegas. Take the old R66 stretch Seligman (Must stop), Hackberry (must stop). Kingman-Hoover Dam-Las Vegas
    Thu: Spend day in Las Vegas
    Fri: Via Death Valley NP to Ridgecrest or even Bakersfield
    Sat: Drive to San Francisco.
    Happy planning
    Yeehaw

If you do that, I'd spend Monday night in Williams. Hotels in Tusayan (just outside the park south gate) are very expensive.

Williams is a one hours drive to GC Village and you'll be far better of for exploring GC if you stay near the rim. Reasonable priced lodging inside the NP at Bright Angel lodge (right at the rim) or Yavapai Lodge (short walk) Don't miss sunset/sunrise at the rim.
    Yeehaw

Yes, but I'm saying stay in Williams Monday night, head up to the park Tuesday morning, and spend Tuesday night in the park. Monday looks like a long day, and I'd rather make the drive from Williams to the park in daylight.

Makes sense