Thread: Trip out West

1. Default Trip out West

I am planning a trip out west for 16 days in August,flying into Denver,driving to Mount Rushmore then to Yellowstone,Grand Teton,then to Salt Lake City,Grand Canyon North Rim,Bryce NP,Zion NP,Arches NP,Mesa Verde NP,Four Corners,Grand Canyon South Rim,flying back to Boston from Las Vegas,any suggestions would be helpful

2. Default

Quite a trip. Is the 16 days including your two days for flying back and forth?

If so, 14 is doable, but that's a lot of sight-seeing, and driving. First, make sure you get a 'year-round pass' for the National Parks (I forget its official name, somewhere around $80) if you plan on going to that many parks.

Sykotyk

3. Default

Yes, the 16 days includes flying days.I would like to drive somewhere between Denver and Mt Rushnore on day 1 and be in Las Vegas day 15.I would like help on driving time and what order I should visit National Parks

Personally I would see your sights in this order;

Mt Rushmore
    Yellowstone/Tetons
    Salt Lake City
    Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Four Corners
    South rim
    North rim
    Bryce
    Zion
    Vegas

Alternatively you could go from SLC to:

Arches
    Bryce
    Zion
    North rim
    Four Corners
    Mesa Verde
    South rim
    Vegas

According to google maps this adds about 400 miles to the trip.

The drive from Zion to Vegas is only about 2 hours and you could easily spend a day sightseeing and be in Vegas by dinner time.

I'll also add in obligatory plugs for the Badlands in South Dakota and the many other sights in the Black Hills area, including Wind & Jewel Caves and Custer State Park. Also the US-191 in Utah between Spanish Forks and Green River is a very scenic route, I'd recommend taking that to Arches instead of staying on the interstate.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by egs View Post
    I am planning a trip out west for 16 days in August,flying into Denver,driving to Mount Rushmore then to Yellowstone,Grand Teton,then to Salt Lake City,Grand Canyon North Rim,Bryce NP,Zion NP,Arches NP,Mesa Verde NP,Four Corners,Grand Canyon South Rim,flying back to Boston from Las Vegas,any suggestions would be helpful
    I don't really have any help for you, but we're doing the very same thing (only we're going counter-clockwise, while you're going clockwise) in July.

6. Default

we have not made any reservations yet,if you have any suggestions it would be helpful

Default Lots to do in 14 days

Here's my route recommendation. I think it's the most efficient way to see all these places. To be honest, I think you're biting off too big of a bite. It's do-able but you'll be driving a lot and should have enough time to see the highlights at each park, but don't expect to explore any of them in depth.

If you don't expect to ever get back to this part of the world, go for it. But if you think you might be able to visit again, pick either the southern or northern portion and just really enjoy exploring that area, saving the other for another time. You are going to miss a lot doing both portions on one trip.

Just the stuff near Mt. Rushmore could give you a minimum of 3-4 days of exploration. And there's a lot of things to see between Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone that you won't have much time for like Devil's Tower, Cody WY and all the cool Buffalo Bill and other old west stuff there, amazing scenic drives, etc.

In the southern portion, there are similar treasures that you probably won't have any time for.

But, if you must get it all in during one trip, you can do it. Just know you're only on a whistle-stop tour.