Default Vintage Clothing Road Trip

Hello, I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been discussed before.

My husband and I are planning a two week road trip this summer from San Francisco to New York. I love American 40s, 50s & 60s clothing and would appreciate some advice as to what cities are good for this. We havenít planned our route yet, weíve just booked our flights, so any help at this stage would be great as we could plan our journey around any help given.

Thank you in advance.

Donna

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

That's quite the range of varying styles!

I'm not really familiar with vintage clothing searches, but I'd wager that the two end points of your trip, plus Chicago, would be good bets to finding what you are looking for. Given Austin, TX's artsy nature, you might be able to find something there, too.

Is this a one-way trip?

Default Thats a new one

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have to say, I think it is safe to say that we haven't got this question before.

I guess I'm not real familiar with vintage clothing shopping, but most cities - even small to mid-sized ones - have at least a few thrift stores and consignment shops. You might have more luck finding higher end things in larger cities and many college towns could have what you are looking for, but I would guess that with any of it, you're looking at a pretty hit or miss type thing.

While we certainly appreciate Quest roadtrips, I suspect you may have more luck finding details of good shops by finding a website that is more specific to vintage clothing. Certainly, if you have more questions about the traveling elements of your trip, we'd be glad to help.

Default Good advice

Thank you Mass Tim and Midwest Michael for the quick responses, Chicago and Austin have been added to the itinerary research.

And Vintage sites (I should have thought of that myself, thank you). I certainly will have more questions about the travelling once weíre a little bit more organised.

What a great forum! Thank you again

Donna

Default Las Vegas as a referral resource

It turns out that one of the staff writers for Living-Las-Vegas.com (a sister site to RTA) is very interested in vintage clothing and she wrote about some of the Las Vegas thrift store resources here (I know it is a bit out of your way) so you might find some research tips helpful therein. In addition to the thrift stores, there are several vintage clothing and furniture stores in Las Vegas.

Mark

Default Thrift stores of Vegas, perfect!

Mark, thatís a great article and really useful, thank you. And no Vegas isnít out of the way at all, we were married on Mount Charleston so thought we stop in Vegas. So Tamiís piece was perfect. Ours plans are coming along nicely.

Donna

Default Excellent site with plenty of links

My brother-in-law is an avid collector of vintage clothing and, as far as he's concerned, this is one of the main attractions of San Francisco so you're certainly starting in the right place. And I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that Haight-Ashbury would be the place to start.

It's probably not one for this trip - particularly if you're heading to Vegas after SF - but if you ever find yourself in Portland, Oregon, there are loads of vintage clothing stores in the downtown area around Powell's Books.

You might also find this site useful. They're based in DC but they've got recommendations and links to vintage stores across the country.

Peter

Thank you Peter, that's a really good site! I can see I'm going to have excess baggage on the way back and no money! This site makes it really easy to plan a route too.

Tim, it's a one-way trip unfortunately so a big one-way car hire fee, but at least itís possible which is great.

Which is the next problem, what car hire company? Personally if a car has a big boot, oops trunk, for my clothes Iím happy, but Nick, my husband and driver, would like to specify a particular car and not just a type. Which at the moment doesnít seem possible, though itís not a huge problem.

Default Just keep looking

I think most of us agree that renting a car takes a bit of research to get the best deal. You really need to visit the websites of the various companies and then plus in your dates, locations, car category, etc. to see what kind of deals you can get. Make sure you compare apples-to-applies, meaning that you are comparing any kind of added on expenses equally to see what your total is. Drop-off fees, added on insurance (if needed), etc. all vary a lot.

And check out rates at different locations. Rentals at the airport in San Francisco might cost more than those at downtown locations. It might be worth it to get a cab to get you to your car pick-up location.