Default Honeymoon road trip: NY to Miami (for a European couple)

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but already did a road trip in the US last year (Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite Park, San Francisco, PCH, Los Angeles - and some cities in between) with my girlfriend and another couple.

For our honeymoon, we are planning on getting a flight to NY, stay there for 3-4 days, and then rent a car and travel to Miami where we'll catch a 7-day cruise.

Arrive in NY on late afternoon on June 29, 2009
    Cruise: July 11, 2009

That means that we can leave NY on late July 02 or early July 03 which will give us 8-9 days to arrive in Miami.

We are estimating around 1500 miles between NY and Miami or around 24 hours of total driving time according to Google Maps.

Do you guys think this might be doable given the time frame?

Looking at Google maps, we noted down the following cities where we might stay and/or visit (but we are open to suggestions - actually this is where we are going to need more help, specially what cities and places to visit):
    Philadelphia, Newark, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Wilmington, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami. We already briefly visited Miami, Cape Canaveral and Orlando (did the theme parks) on a previous trip so we'll probably take 1-2 days after the cruise ends to get to know Miami a little better (Everglades, Keys and other nearby locations).

Any comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Steven Martins
    Oporto, Portugal
    Last edited by smartins; 01-13-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

And welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

I think your trip is very feasible. I've never done this particular roadtrip so I can't give you any personal tips, but I will direct you to some other discussions we've had here that should have a lot of good ideas for you.

Regular contributor Foy has some great tips here. And this discussion about the trip from Massachusetts to Florida should give you other ideas. Savannah always gets good comments as it's a beautiful city with a lot of interest so definitely check out this post with good ideas for both Savannah and Charlotte areas from a local person. Check out this discussion for tips on the Miami area and The Keys.

Well, these should get you started. And I'm sure someone with more personal experience in these areas will pop in here, too. Keep asking questions. Happy planning!

Thanks Judy for the reply.

Anyone else care to comment about this trip?

We are considering spending more time on Philly and Washington because there seems to be more places to visit but some advice from someone local or who already visited these places would be great!

Tucson, AZ

Default Philadelphia and Washington

Having visited both cities extensively (I worked in Philadelphia and have two sisters who live just outside Washington.) my general recommendation would be to concentrate on Washington. Philadelphia certainly has its charms, but its main attraction is its richness in American History - Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross' house, Elfreth's Alley and the like. It does have a world class art museum, the Franklin Institute and a great zoo, but Washington has the National Gallery of Art, the Smithsonian, and the National Zoo. Given all the other places you've listed to see on your drive down the east coast, I just don't see where you have the time to do justice to both of these great cities, and if I had to recommend one, Washington would get the nod.