Thread: new at this

1. Default new at this

I have been trying to research the idea of a roadtrip for a few weeks now. I have always wanted to go on one. Me and my best friend really want to do one, as we just graduated college. I live in Philadelphia, PA. sooo....I don't really know a good route to go. We don't want to go really far, as it is our first road trip. Going south is probably the way we'd go. So I was just wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for me. We are looking to go in March. I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!!

Tucson, AZ

Default Strings of Pearls

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In my experience, the best RoadTrips are not just about where you start and where you go, but all the sights to be seen along the way. Also, I'm a big fan of loop trips where you go out on one set of roads and come home on another. As a former resident of Delaware who worked for a time in Philly, here is a string of some of my favorite east coast sites to the south of the city of brotherly love. The Delmarva Peninsula, Assateague and Chincoteague Islands, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Fort Raleigh in Manteo NC, the Outer Banks, small towns in the Carolinas, Great Smoky National Park, Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway, Lexington VA, Monticello, Shenandoah National Park, Washington DC. Putting all those in one trip may be more than you want to contemplate for a first time trip, but the beauty of them is that each of those 'pearls' is only a few hours at most from the next, and at the farthest, you'd still only be a day's drive from home.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Another approach

One thing you can do is take a drawing compass and set it to a multiple of the mileage scale in an atlas, and draw a circle with the center at Philadelphia that gives you options for 100, 200, 300, etc. miles away, depending on how much time you have.

You could make a equilateral triangle in much the same way. "really far" varies for each person, but I'd say a good 1000 mile round trip for a week will give you what you want. Since your inclination is to head South, Buck's ideas should get you started.