Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Planning Cross Country Roud Trip 8/7 to 8/17

Hi - I am new to this Forum but have been a driver for about 25 years now. I wanted to see if anyone in this Forum has driven across the country from East Coast to Orange County CA, and back on a different route?

I will be driving with my college buddy who also loves driving on August 7th evening to August 17 evening. We previously made it out to Rapid City SD in 2 1/2 days with lodging.

We're planning driving the lower states, then up San Francisco through the Rockies.

I am most interestes in site seeing certain states such as the Grand Canyon and so forth.

I will be driving a 2006 VW New Beetle TDI 5speed, which gets about 45 miles per gallon. I am already planning this trip by installing a CB radio to kill some bordom on the road.

We also will take turn sleep/drive to reduce some delays but not all the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10 days for a coast to coast round trip is only enough time to go point to point using Interstate highways with no side trips or sightseeing. Where are you starting from?

3. Default

What if we drove continuously from 3 straight days to reach, and same to get back? Then we'd have 4 days of spare time?
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    10 days for a coast to coast round trip is only enough time to go point to point using Interstate highways with no side trips or sightseeing. Where are you starting from?

4. Default

We're starting the trip from Northern NJ near Route 80 West. But I do not want to start from Route 80, rather, go down South to take Route 70 first to land in Los Angeles.
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post

What if we drove continuously from 3 straight days to reach, and same to get back? Then we'd have 4 days of spare time?
    You are going to get a huge blast from the mods/advisors here suggesting such a plan. It's not safe, and professional drivers are not legally allowed to do this.

Please read this article.

Paterson, NJ to LA is 2800 miles by fastest route, and that's 40 hours of wheels spinning averaging 70 mph, which is not legally possible. Trying to do that in 3 days will have you on the road for over 16 hours a day when you count only food, fuel, and bio stops and maybe a little leg stretching. That is FASTEST route which is I-80/76/70/15/10.

Please rethink your plans to something that won't endanger you and the other drivers on the road.

Default Not enough time.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Hi - I am new to this Forum but have been a driver for about 25 years now.
    Is this a challenge ?, if not it will feel a lot like work, Lol.

over 6000 miles in 6 days, yikes ! Sorry but it's not realistic to do this, neither would it be safe.
    Unless it's more of a challenge then anything else I would either find more time or take a shorter trip, because your not going to have time to start seeing the Rocky's, Grand canyon and coast with the schedule you have. Just to drive through these places I would guess you are going to be driving around 650 miles per day which is getting close to 12 hours travel everyday.

Default You'll need a vacation to recover from your vacation!

I've been known to attempt what you're considering for a day or two when I'm pressed for time. It usually means a big collapse upon arrival and needing a rest day (or two or three) to recover. I agree that you need to add more days or choose a smaller loop.

BTW, cool car :)

8. Default

1,000 miles a day for two drivers taking turns is easily feasible. (500mi per 12 hours, is just over 40mph).

Big question is, you're doing this in a car, right? If so, it's certainly legal. If you're a professional driver and have driven team before, 1,000mi in a day is a piece of cake.

But I agree, if you can't get good rest in a car while it's moving (while you alternate shifts), it will catch up to you when you stop.

And, I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15 may be the fastest on sheer mileage, I still have to say I-70/I-81/I-40 would be the fastest based on road conditions, speed limits, and terrain.

Sykotyk

9. Default

Thank you. I did not mean to start a controversy here. I was just asking the question, and needed some feedback. Since then, I have increased the total number of days on the road to 12, not 11. My friend and I are very avid drivers and we can each drive 8 hour straight easy without even thinking about it. I know it seems like a lot, but we enjoy driving, period.

So we're looking to cover on the first 3 days, up to Arizona. I do want to take a trip to the Death Valley but not sure if any one here had any experience with that.

I do want to stop and enjoy the Grand Canyon (South side) and Las Vegas to spend the night at. But after that, we want to breeze through LA and the Hollywood, San Fran and start heading back on the Northern route through Colorado. I do want to stop over at the Pikes Peak.

Below are the pictures of the CB that I had installed this past weekend on my New Beetle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-15-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: removed quote of entire post

10. Default

BTW, I eat sunflower seeds when I get drowsy. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but for me, it is better than caffein, or chewing gum. I can drive for hours as long as I have a bag of Davidson's Sunflower Seeds. Crack, split, eat, enjoy!