Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

1. Default Help

We need help with our first RV trip. We will be renting an RV for a month (May 09) taking the vehicle in Calgary we want to go to the Rockies and then down to the Grand Canyon.

Being our first Rv experience and being by ourselves (it's my Bucket List) my hubby and I are wondering about the road condition (easy to drive the RV) in USA, I know the ones for the Rockies is good as I have gone on Bus Tour, no sharp turns or huge mountains to go up and down...

What should the daily mileage be? We would like to include a few day trips by train in both rockies and grand canyon...

Any tips or help you can bring our way would be much appreciated, we are from the Maritimes and going in beautiful territory.

Thanks

I are wondering about the road condition (easy to drive the RV) in USA, I know the ones for the Rockies is good as I have gone on Bus Tour, no sharp turns or huge mountains to go up and down...
    I'm not sure what you mean about "the ones for the rockies is good" if you are traveling in the mountains, you probably will be looking at curves and inclines. While modern roads will handle these conditions with reasonable ease, there is only so much an engineer can do with nature. If you are seriously concerned about it, then focus your driving on Interstate Highways, which are designed for truck and military travel, and very easy for even an RV to travel.

Daily miles are going to depend upon your travel style and comfort level. Even for a full day, I wouldn't recommend planning to go more than 500 miles, but I'm sure there will be many if not most days where you will want to travel much less than that.

I guess you have to deliver the RV in Calgary again and a sidetrip to Grand Canyon NP will take more than a week if only visiting GCNP. But there are countless places to visit in between like Zion, Bryce, Capitol reef, Arches, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, Glacier etc. But Glacier and Yellowstone will have restricted access in may. In fact there are restrictions driving Going to the Sun road in Glacier, plus that road still will be closed in may. You easily can take 3 weeks for the Canadian Rockies, visit Vancouver and Vancouver Island and maybe see WA and OR.
    Yeehaw

Default Lot's to see.

Generally speaking the R.V's can travel anywhere a car would go with "normal" tourist routes, but some restrictions do apply in certain cases. However, away from the Interstates expect slower going, and especially in the mountains. If you have no experience of driving larger vehicles don't give yourself to much ground to cover in your first couple of days so that you have time to adapt your driving style and get used to the size of it, the extra width in particular.
    Using National park campsites would mean you can take advantage of the free shuttle bus services that run in most of them, leaving you to enjoy the scenery.

There are so many lovely places to choose from so I would recommend you have a look around the forums and planning pages to get some ideas and put up an outline plan of what interests you and then we can help you piece it together to make the perfect trip.

5. Default Newbie going on the road without support

We have been taking vacations with tour groups most of our lives but want to go without the net this time.

We are from the Maritimes so taking plane to Calgary and renting a car from there. (May 14 to 18)

We want to visit the Grand Canyon which road do you suggest, is driving 200 miles a day too much??? What would be the best to visit ?? Can we expect road closure at that time of year???

While in motels/hotels should we mention that hubby is a retired service man?
    I have tried to find an hotel in the Grand Canyon but I guess we decided to late to go on this trip, nothing available and we are not going to do them by internet as we want to go flexible and not rush to get to hotel each day, is this feasable?????

Your assistance would be so helpful thantks in advance.

Den from New Brunswick Canada

Default Some Support

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm not quite sure I understand your plan. But since May 14-18 is nowhere near enough time to get from Calgary to the Grand Canyon and back (more later), I'll assume that those are just target dates for arrival in Calgary and that you have a couple of weeks or so for the RoadTrip portion. I assume you'll have to return to Calgary because I don't think that you'll find a rental car agency that will let you pick up a car in Canada and leave it in the United States.

200 miles a day is a very easy pace to keep up, requiring only about 4 hours a day on the road. We generally recommend 500-550 miles as a relatively maintainable pace that leaves time for the occasional rest stop or short visit to an attraction. I wouldn't worry too mach about road closures, both because Spring will be taking hold and because you'll be mostly heading north/south through valleys rather than east/west over the mountain passes that might still be closed.

Being a veteran will not be likely to get you any kind of discount, but if you are over 55 and a member of AARP or a member of CAA/AAA either of those memberships is usually good for a 10% discount. If you're having trouble finding accommodations at the Grand Canyon, you can look at the town of Tusayan just south of the Park or even a little farther south in the more sizeable towns of Williams and/or Flagstaff, either of which will allow easy day trips to the Canyon. Other than at the Canyon itself, you shouldn't have too big a problem finding vacancies along the way. If you find a particular motel is full up, they will generally be helpful in suggesting or even contacting other local inns that might have room.

Major attractions on your drive would include Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Parks (another place where you might have to look around a bit for motels), Great Salt Lake, Dinosaur National Monument, Bryce Canyon National Park and Zion National Park.

AZBuck

You will not find any hotels in Tusayan for less than $100 a night that time of year. You will have to go to Williams or Flagstaff to find anything cheaper.

I'd recommend flying to the US to a city that is centrally located to the attractions you want to see and renting a car there for return to the same location.

Default Need clarification.

It's a little confusing.

As you have mentioned nothing else other than the Grand canyon as a place to visit and looking as though you have a car for only 4 days I am thinking Calgary might be a mistake in your typing. To do 200 miles a day it would take you 14 days of travel to get there and back.

For accommodation you could also look at Cameron trading post that is situated just outside the East entrance to GC

9. Default newbie going on the road without support

Sorry sorry sorry.... it was meant to be May 4th to 18th.......I am noting all the places to visit... thanks......

Default That's better !

No need to apologise ! Lol !

With 14 days you certainly have time to explore some of the great suggestions Buck referred to. With under 1400 miles to cover [plus detours] either way you could cover the ground in 6 days there and back, leaving 8 days for exploring and time at the canyon.