Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Diego to Las Vegas

Hi

Newbie here and new to road trips in the US too. I am female (UK) and am planning to drive alone from San Diego to Las Vegas in April. I have 10 days and at the moment the only certain stop is the Grand Canyon. I am doing a ton of reading on the internet but there is so many things to see and do, it is quite overwhelming. I want to make the most of my time and ensure that I see as much as possible.

I am also looking for reasonably priced and safe accommodation (I like the look of the Boulder Dam Hotel).

I would be grateful for any suggestions that would help me get the most of this trip.

Thanks

Default choices

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You are right that there are lots of different choices, and even though they can be overwhelming, the right choice really will depend upon your tastes and what you are looking for.

This thread has a good outline of basic ideas between San Diego and Las Vegas.

3. Default

Thank you for your quick response and the link to the info, it is very interesting and helpful.

Kind regards

4. Default Boulder Dam hotel

Hi, We stayed at the Boulder Dam Hotel in Sept 2008 and found it a very pleasant place to stay and reasonably priced. After the hustle & bustle of Vegas it was really peaceful & I'd happily recomend it to you. It's about a mile or two from the Dam which was really interesting, and the Marina at Lake Mead is well worth a visit, (take a loaf of bread with you for feeding the fish - I promise you that you wont have seen anything like it !!!).

Default Natural wonders.

Hi, If you want great scenery and a lovely drive then from the Grand Canyon you could leave by the East entrance along Desert view drive, which has many scenic viewpoints, and head up to Page and Lake Powell and then into Utah and vist the wonderful parks of Bryce canyon and Zion N.P before heading South on I-15 to finish in Vegas. When leaving the G/C a side trip to Monument valley wouldn't be out of the question either.

6. Default

Thanks folks, this is very helpful

7. Default Palm Desert to Sedona

I am doing my first ever solo road trip in the southwest in April and I am trying to do it manageable chunks (about 3 hours or so) so that I am not spending all day driving. The ultimate end is Las Vegas, stopping at the Grand Canyon, Page and Springdale.

I also would like to spend one night in Sedona but the drive from Palm Desert (my starting point) is 5 and half hours without stops (according to Google maps). I haven't any plans to stop on the way (unless someone has a suggestion). What is the ideal route from PD to Sedona - the I-10 and 17 or the I-40?

Thanks
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-22-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Default A little longer.

Hi,

What is the ideal route from PD to Sedona - the I-10 and 17 or the I-40?
    I-10 and 17 is the quickest route but I would expect it to take a bit over 6 hours to cover the 368 miles.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maple23 View Post
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 02-23-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip
    sorry, I had forgotten about my original thread

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I-10 and 17 is the quickest route but I would expect it to take a bit over 6 hours to cover the 368 miles.
    Thanks for this