1. Default Phoenix-San Francisco with 10 month old baby

Hi,

Myself, my wife and our baby who will be ten months in October are planning a two week trip from Phoenix to San Francisco (one way) hopefully taking in The Grand Canyon, Monument valley, Arches np, Canyonlands np, Bryce canyon np, Zion np, and then onto Yosemite np and San Francisco. We are planning on hireing a Motor home in Phoenix. We will be doing this in October, we are from London England and not travelled in the USA before, any advice on this trip including RV rentals, itineries,camp sites, and generally if two weeks is enough time for this trip etc would be very Gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

matt

Default plenty of information

Welcome to the RTA Forum! And doing the math, Congrats on the Newborn!

2 weeks will probably be enough time, but your trip could be a little rushed too. You're talking about a lot of things to do, and quite a few miles to cover, but it depends upon how fast paced of a trip you like.

There is tons of information on this website and this forum about RV trips and travel of all sorts in the area that you are talking about. I'm sure you'll find tons of great ideas if you look around, but I think this RV Trip through the Southwest is one thread that you'll really enjoy.

Default Looks good.

That's a great trip and a lovely time of year to do it in, just when the temps and the crowds are dropping off. Be prepared for chillier nights though, especially on the high ground at places such as Bryce.

We will be doing this in October, we are from London England and not travelled in the USA before, any advice on this trip including RV rentals, itineries,camp sites, and generally if two weeks is enough time for this trip etc
    With a one way trip you are more than likely to be tied to one of the larger company's, which includes Cruise America, El Monte and Roadbear. I am not sure which run out of Phoenix but google will reveal all. Cruise America have had some deals running of late and I have just booked with them as they were the best value, but always compare quotes. Make sure you add all the extra's on such as extra mileage use, one way, preparation and generator fees. Being from the U.k you will also need kitchen and bedding kits. Some of the cheaper looking rentals can turn expensive with these add on's.

Your plan as laid out is a good route to take. From Arches you could head to Hanksville and Torrey which will also take you past Capitol reef and onto scenic 12 through Escalante to Bryce. From Zion to Yosemite you have 2 choices really, both start on I-15 heading South through St George. You can either take the 168/93/375 to Warm Springs [E.T. HIGHWAY], join HWY 6 to Tonopah and 120 to Lee vining, or carry on into Vegas and take a drive across Death valley[ fabulous landscape] and up the 395 to Lee Vining. You will then cross the Sierra's on the 120 [Tioga Pass] into Yosemite.

For campsites and great locations you can't beat the National parks in my opinion. They are reasonably priced but are not resort type sites with pools, bars and Gym's e.t.c.
    They don't have hook ups but the R.V's can run off the on-board generator when need be. When you are camping in the parks you can take advantage of the free shuttle bus systems to get around so no need to pack up to go out and about.
    Here is their website. Click on the map in an area to locate the parks.

As Michael pointed out, you have the time but it will depend on how much you want to be on the move but I don't think you will be overstretched.

Any more questions, just ask.

Dave

4. Default

Thanks a lot for your help guys, some really usefull information.

Cheers

matt