Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I'm driving from Iowa to Bridgeport, CT (Tolls) Question

What's the amount of tolls I'll need to pay? I'm going to be driving a Saturn, ION and taking interstate 80. Thanks for any estimates you can give me!

LittleApple08,
    :)

Default Looking it up

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The Indiana Toll Road Charges about $7 to travel the state, with a discount if you use an electronic toll device like an I-Pass or an EZ Pass. The Ohio Turnpike is Cash Only and cost a little over $10. You can look up the Toll Road and Turnpike's websites for specific costs.

From there it will depend upon which route you take, as I-80 ends in NYC and doesn't continue into CT. I believe there is a couple dollar toll crossing the Delaware Water Gap at the PA/NJ border and its another $5 to cross the Hudson River going eastbound (they only charge one direction). You'll want to look those up for specifics, and I'm not sure if an electronic discount is offered for those.

Tolls will add a small extra expense to a trip like this, but overall, the cost is only going to be in the ball park of a single tank of gas.

1. I-80 in IL - $0.60
    2. Indiana Toll Road I-80 - $6.75
    3. Ohio Turnpike I-80 - $9.25
    4. Delaware Water Gap Bridge I-80 - $0.75
    5. Tappan Zee Bridge I-287 - $5.00 (I do not suggest you take I-80 across the George Washington Bridge, but if you do, the toll is $8.00)

These are cash tolls, if you have a EZ-Pass or I-Pass, there are discounts. Either may be used on your entire route except Ohio.

4. Default

Thanks for the help everyone, so about $25.00 total for tolls? How do I get that discount card, could I get it in 2 days?

You would have to stop and buy one in Illinois. It will cost you $50, $40 will be credited to your account and $10 will be kept as a deposit. It requires automatic credit card replenishment. It's not a card, it's a transponder used for driving through unattended toll lanes. I do not know how long it takes to get it activated though - as I remember it might take 24 hours.

For a one-time trip, it's not worth it. If you want to do it, the easiest place would be a Jewel food store in the Chicago metro area. If you are moving to CT and will be traveling around the eastern seaboard a lot, wait till you get out there and buy a EZ-Pass.

Default transponders

The I-pass or EZ Pass isn't a discount card, its a little radio transponder that you put on your windshield that electronically pays for your tolls without stopping. Since the system is cheaper then staffing a toll booth, and it keeps traffic moving, you get a discount for using it (and just coincidentally, out of state drivers end up paying more because they probably won't have an electronic toll pass).

GLC is right if this is just a one time trip, its probably not worth the hassle of getting one. You have to put down a deposit, which would cost more than you'd save. You'd also have to stop to find a store to buy one, and then activate it. In addition to Jewell stores, some Road Ranger truck stops in Illinois also sell them, and while activation can take up to a few hours, I know mine started working almost immediately.

7. Default

I probably could have did a google search, but thanks a lot I appreciate it. I didn't know what the difference was until you guys told me. I read that tolls are going to increase a lot in the next 12 years. That plan "what's his face" talked about the inflation. While I was google searching I came across it. Anyway, thanks a bunch for all the support, and if anyone know CT well, I'd like to know the best Auto shop to go to near Bridgeport. also can auto shops there install the EZ Card.

Have a good night everyone,
    Little Apple 2008,
    :)

You can install an EZ-Pass yourself in 2 minutes. It's just a little box about the size of a pack of cigarettes that attaches to the top inside of your windshield with self-adhesive Velcro strips (provided). There is no wiring involved, it has an internal battery. The easiest way to get one is order one online at the EZPass website, they will mail it to you. You can also order by phone - that may be the best thing so you can discuss the various discount plans. I don't think there would be any pickup locations or service centers in CT because CT is not a toll state. The main service center is in NJ.

Default making money

Quote Originally Posted by LittleApple08 View Post
    I read that tolls are going to increase a lot in the next 12 years.
    Some states, in a short-sighted look for quick cash, have sold their tollways to private companies. The Chicago Skyway and Indiana Tollroads are two examples of this, and the companies need to make back the billions they paid for them. The Cash price for the Indiana Toll Road has nearly doubled already (although the electronic rate won't change for a few more years) and the price for the Skyway is expected to double within 10 years and will likely rise even more after that.

At least those 2 roads are part of the EZ-Pass/I-Pass network. What bugs me is the lack of interoperability in the rest of the country.

EZ-Pass/I-Pass states:

IL, IN, WV, PA, VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, RI, NH, ME.