1. Default Newcomer From Chicago!

Hey all! im from chicago. Me a 3 buddys are planning a trip this summer to colorado springs. There are 2 cars going on the trip. Both highly modded nissan 350z's. We are trying to find fun, but more importantly "safe" roads to cruise on. We are all about twists and turns and amazing scenery! 2 out of the 4 being photographers (including myself) nice scenery is a must.

I figured what a better place to ask for a good route than here! Any input would be great! we are planning the trip for late june or early july.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by TravlinZ View Post
    2 out of the 4 being photographers (including myself) nice scenery is a must.
    You won't have a problem with that... in CO one could stop every mile to take photos.

One place which I found absolutely stunning is the Great Sand Dunes NP, north of highway 160 (which in itself is a magnificent drive) and west of Walsenburg.

I thought highway 160 was at its best between South Fork and Pagosa Springs. Wonderful Hot Springs at the latter.
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-10-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Could you please define "safe" a bit better? If you are looking for twists and turns and amazing scenery, you aren't going to find that between Chicago and Colorado Springs on any kind of direct route - the fun comes when you go farther west into the Rockies. You could use Colorado Springs as a base and take side trips every day for a month and not see everything.

Default Pack light !

Quote Originally Posted by TravlinZ View Post
    Hey all! im from chicago. Me a 3 buddys are planning a trip this summer to colorado springs. There are 2 cars going on the trip. Both highly modded nissan 350z's.
    Cool way to travel but you will need to pack light, Lol ! I would love to get my tuned Nissan 200sx to the States and enjoy some of the roads.

Welcome to the R.T.A forums.

We are all about twists and turns and amazing scenery
    I am presuming you are referring to roads around Colorado springs rather than your journey there ? Are you using this as a base or are you going to be moving around?

You have to follow in the footsteps of some "driving greats" and take the toll road to the top of Pikes peak that winds it way up the mountain to over 14000 ft.
    Higher still is the Mount Evans road outside of Denver.
    North you have the spectacular scenery of the Rockies and untold numbers of mountain roads including Trial Ridge road, the highest continuous paved road in America.

To the West of Colorado Springs you can travel the Million dollar Highway where you will pass the Black canyon of the Gunnison.

A few suggestions of many, but if you have any more questions just ask.

but more importantly "safe" roads to cruise on.
    Roads in general are safe with the right precautions, just don't attempt Pike peak like Arri Vattanan ;-) [great vid !

Dave.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-10-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added comment and link

To the West of Colorado Springs you can travel the Million dollar Highway where you will pass the Black canyon of the Gunnison.
    I fixed it for you, Dave.

I don't know how fussy you guys are about your vehicles, but the road to Pikes Peak is gravel.

Default oops !!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I fixed it for you, Dave.

Thanks glc, I must of had my sleepy head on, Lol ! [I have also corrected it in the original post ]

7. Default

Thanks guys! i should have been alittle more clear. We are going to use my uncles cabin as a "base". (in the springs)
    Again i should have said we are looking for roads out there (colorado)to drive not ON the way there.
    Im liking the sound of that million dollar highway! any more suggestions would be wonderful! thanks alot!
    The travlinZ

If you want to take a 2 day trip, here's a rough suggestion - head over to Durango and spend the night there, and take a different road back. From Durango to the springs, I have personally made that run, I took US-550 to Montrose, US-50 through Gunnison to US-285 to US-24.

On another day, you could head up to Denver and then up to Estes Park - and take Trail Ridge Rd up through the park. Then you could take I-70 west and take Loveland Pass (US-6) instead of the Eisenhower Tunnel over toward Vail, Glenwood Springs, and then to Snowmass and Aspen.