1. Default Early Summer East Coast Trip

Hi all! My husband and I are looking at an early summer roadtrip along the East Coast. We're driving from Chicago to northern Jersey on 6/25/09, will spend 6/26 in NJ for a family event, and then hope to start south early on 6/27. We'd like to visit a friend for a day in Hilton Head, and we will be visiting another relative in Nashville on the evening of 7/10 and then driving back to Chicago on 7/11/09.

Other than those parameters, we're completely open. We're hoping to be able to camp (tent) most nights to save on accommodations, but we will be staying at least a couple nights in hotels, and probably with our friend on Hilton Head when we're there. What are some things we should see or do on the way, and how long do you think we should spend on each?

I have NO idea where to start, so Thanks So Much for your help!

I'd recommend you leave on 6/24. One day is pushing it from Chicago to NJ, you would be pretty tired the next day at your family function.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I'd recommend you leave on 6/24. One day is pushing it from Chicago to NJ, you would be pretty tired the next day at your family function.
    Totally agree.

Having done that more than half a dozen times, I can only reinforce the above... you won't want to do that in one day.

4. Default

We've done the drive several times, and in the spring/summer it's not bad. Winter, on the other hand, is a different story (did the drive one time in an unexpected blizzard when we were both poor college students and had enough money to get there, and that's it - that was a hellish 12 hour drive that turned into about 18 hours). Unfortunately due to work constraints, we can't leave the day earlier, so that's not an option.

What about leaving in the evening and driving until midnight or so? I've done Chicago-NJ myself many times, and straight through quite a few of those times, but when I did - even in my younger days - I was pretty useless the next day.

6. Default

We're not concerned about the drive from Chicago to NJ. We've done it 2-3x a year for the last 5 years, and we've never had a problem (well, except for that blizzard). The family event the next day is just an anniversary dinner, so we'll have nearly 24 hours to recuperate before we have to do anything.

The part of the trip we're questioning is the part between NJ and Nashville. We're not sure what we want to do, or what the best things to do are. I want it to be fairly relaxing, and my husband is a history buff (mainly WWII, but he's interested in anything historical). What are some can't miss things between say NJ and Savannah, GA, and then Savannah and Nashville?

Default History

There are a ton of historical sites on the east coast of course. Revolutionary war sites such as Monmouth, Brandywine, Yorktown, etc; Civil War sites like Gettysburg, Antietam, Manasas and a host of others; and WWII era museums. For their richness in having multiple such attractions I'd look at stops in the Washington area (monuments, museums, memorials), the Virginia tidewater area (Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown) and Charleston SC (Fort Sumter, Patriots Point, Plantations, the CSS Hunley restoration).

AZBuck