Default Seattle to LA, May 2009

Hi All, First of all, what a useful website!! Found it through Google and it has helped already to plan this trip. What I have now is a rough itenery and a map.

What I don't have is the slightest idea whether this is doable, how to go about booking campsites/cabins, or if I have missed out some "must see sights", or if there are any hidden gems along this route so I thought i could post up and see what you guys think.

Travelling will be me and my wife both 28, from the UK, we plan on renting a car one way, mixing it up between camping/cabins and motels. Our only constraints are flights (we arrive in Seattle on Day 0 and fly from LAX on Day 19) and that we would like to be in vegas on day 14 as that will be our anniversary (and we got married in vegas!).

We are more outdoors type so you will see we have opted for the parks. So over to you, what do you all think, and thanks for taking the time to read/reply.

Richard
    Google Map Link

Day 1 Seattle
    Day 2 Seattle
    Day 3 Olympic Nt Park
    Day 4 Mt Rainer
    Day 5 Mt St Helens
    Day 6 Portland
    Day 7 Coast Road 101
    Day 8 Crater Lake Nt Park
    Day 9 Redwood Nt Park
    Day 10 Salt Point State Park
    Day 11 Lake Tahoe
    Day 12 Mono lake nt park
    Day 13 Death Valley Nt Park
    Day 14 Death Valley + Arrive Vegas
    Day 15 Vegas
    Day 16 Vegas
    Day 17 Vegas / LA
    Day 18 LA Disneyland
    Day 19 Bus tour of LA and Stars homes

Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post

What I don't have is the slightest idea whether this is doable, how to go about booking campsites/cabins, or if I have missed out some "must see sights", or if there are any hidden gems along this route so I thought i could post up and see what you guys think.
    In all my travels, I have never booked my camp or cabin more than 24 hours ahead... and never found that there was no room. Only time I book well ahead is when I need accommodation in NYC, LA, or such. May is not school holiday time, so should not be busy. In fact, I will be in the same area around that time. LOL

As for gems of 'must sees'. Allow me to suggest two.

South of Eureka in Northern California turn off onto highway 211 to Cape Mendocino - the most westerly point of the 48 States. 211 joins I-5 again, further south, through the Humboldt Redwoods SP.

The other...........

There are three geysers in the world. The best known is Old Faithful in Yellowstone. Another is on the north island of New Zealand. But a little known geyser, also known as 'Old Faithful', is to be found near Calistoga CA. Definitely worth visiting.

It was featured in LIFE America's Weekend Magazine, April 20, 2007. The article was entitled "America's Hidden Treasures - 21 Places you've got to see to believe".

From Salt Point NP take the road to Geyserville on I-5. Then follow highway 128 to Calistoga. The geyser is sign-posted along this route, before you actually get to Calistoga.

I have a friend who grew up in SF, and was not even aware of it.

Lifey suggests you check it out for yourself
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-09-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add link

Great advice...thanks.

In terms of transport, as above we are looking into the car hire (seems very expensive, especially with the one way fee). But what car type would you reccommend, as i am concerned about the luggage space. Granted there are only two of us, but with luggage and a tent/ice box etc I dont want to be a target by having stuff on the back seat.

With this in mind i was looking at the mini/compact SUV, do you guys think this is necasary or would a economy / compact / midsize / fullsize be the better option?

Also, any more advice on the itenery?

Thanks!

Default storage

With 2 people, I really don't think that you'd need an SUV, and I'm sure it would cost quite a bit more than a car. Also, in an SUV, other than tinted windows, your storage area is just as visiable as in the back seat of a car.

Most trunks in American cars have more than enough space for almost anything 2 people could bring on a roadtrip. I'd imagine that a mid to full sized car would be just fine for your trip.

yeah i think thats a good idea, i have looked at the mid size and they are a lot cheaper.

What do people think of the route, is it acheivable??