1. Default Glacier National Park August 2009

Has anyone stayed at the West Glacier KOA right outside the National Park? We have reservations for August 2009. Has anyone taken any of the Red Bus Trips into the park? Any information would be appreciated.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not specifically

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've camped at Glacier, but I've always used the campgrounds that are actually in the National Park. Personally, I'm not a big fan of KOA and almost never stay there simply because I think they are overpriced and I don't want or need resort style amenities of a big RV park when I'm camping. In this case, I also think its simply nicer to actually be within the park boundaries where you are closer to the surroundings.

I also haven't taken the Red Bus but to me it comes down to this: If you want to take a tour when you don't have to worry about driving, but don't mind going at someone else's pace and don't mind spending some extra money its certainly a valid option. I suppose there is also a nice novelty factor involved with taking one too. Having said that, they don't go anywhere you can't get to yourself so they certainly aren't required for an enjoyable visit to the park and if you prefer to go at your own pace, you might even prefer driving.

Tucson, AZ

Default I'm Ambivalent

As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate the freedom to concentrate on the scenery and the luxury of having a knowledgeable guide that taking relatively short tours such as these offer. On the other hand, the Red Bus Tours are privately operated and can be fairly expensive. Still, have a look at the cost and what they offer and make your own choice.