Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadtrip Music!

Default Roadtrip Music!

Hi All,

I'm starting to compile some tunes for my roadtrip. Obviously it comes down to personal taste, but are there any all time classics.... I'm thinking Eagles, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen...

What are you all listening to when on the road?

RP

Default A link.

Here's a thread that links to Roadtrip music discussions.

Enjoy!

Although I must say we enjoyed tuning the radio into the local stations while rolling through each area and listening to those accents and reports [like you hear in the movies, Lol] as well as the music.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-08-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Added thought.

Default good old days

Although I must say we enjoyed tuning the radio into the local stations while rolling through each area and listening to those accents and reports [like you hear in the movies, Lol] as well as the music.
    I used to enjoy that, or even better would be the late night travels to turn over to AM and see how far away you could be listening to a station. I used to regularly listen to Cleveland and Pittsburgh stations while driving across the Dakotas, although I think my personal best was a picking up a French language channel from Quebec in the southwest corner of Minnesota.

Unfortantly, in this day of media empires the days of computer operated DJs and mass produced programming, its getting harder to find those great local channels and local flavors - especially on the FM side of the dial.

I have given up on local radio. I listen to XM.

5. Default

I installed this 10 cd changer along with the main mp3 player in my car. So for 10 discs, I have different kinds of collections such as:

a) top 90s songs, top 80s songs etc
    b) lots of classical indian movie sountracks
    c) international music collections such as arabic, latin, celtic. These are the party one and really perk me up

In the main unit, I have an audio book. So I keep switching back and forth between the audio book and the music. I listened to the audio book "In defense of food" by Michael pollan on my last trip. I listen to non fiction audio books and this is one good way to "read" the good books.

Default Local is the PRIMARY Way for me!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I have given up on local radio. I listen to XM.
    When I am on a road trip I am not interested in listening to "my music" I want to hear and see the local culture of the area -- I never bring music (except for audio books -- see below). I find local jazz stations in the oddest places -- one of the most amazing is the one that broadcasts in the Navajo nation -- they play a mix of Navajo and classic American compositions and I also enjoy listening to local talk radio.

I also carry and listen to much of the radio traffic on Single-Side-Band CB radio and some of the audiotapes of books we review on RTA. We have one of the active audio book review teams in the country. In 2008, we published recommendations for 49 titles (there are 153 in total in the collection) with 115 novels, 15 memoir and 26 other non-fiction). By the way, any of the 153 titles listed on the site are PERSONAL RECOMMENDATIONS by the reviewers (we don't publish reviews for any book we can't personally recommend).

For those who like compiling their own versions of Road Music -- here are some suggestions to get you started (plus there are nearly 2000 other suggested titles on this forum posted by various members over the years...)

Mark

Being blessed with having an iPod in my jeep, I have the ability to listen to all of my music without the fuss (and perhaps danger) of changing through CDs. My music is usually dependent on my mood, but some general things that I listen to would be the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hot Rod Circuit, Radiohead, Nirvana, Beck, the Clash, Fugazi, and the list goes on and on

Gotta say I'm more of a mix person. Love hitting up the XM for a bit, then switch over to FM during the day to see what's coming in...after dark as was mentioned before AM is always fun...then whenya just need some noise...I'll change over to mix cds or iPod.

Also don't discount the enjoyment that you can get from just turning off the radio and listening to the road.

Default Compiling Music

Just booked my flights to the USA today so the trip is VERY real now. I will start compiling a selection of music for the trip. Just to confirm, rental cars in USA will have a "power source" (which used to be called the cigarette lighter) to keep my gadgets charged while on the move right?

I don't know if that's guaranteed across the board, but I would think anything better than a bare economy model would.