Default Student Planning a Cheap West Coast Roadtrip

This is my first post, and I didn't see any other posts about this subject.

Anyone have any suggestions for an Education Major planning a summer road trip to the California/New Mexico/Arizona West Coast/Southwest area?

Just fun inexpsensive suggestions.

Also, as far as the actual travel goes, suggestions for having a crappy, air conditionless car?

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-05-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: format and navigation

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default What is your actual budget?

Quote Originally Posted by sunsalutations2012 View Post
    This is my first post, and I didn't see any other posts about this subject.
    West coast trips or cheap road trips? Here are some suggestions for west coast trips and here are some tips for less expensive road trips.

It really comes does to -- what do you consider an inexpensive trip? What is your total budget?

South of England.

Default Fun for you.

Also, what is your idea of fun ?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

The links Mark has given you will give you some good ideas to work with but as pointed out every one's definition of "inexpensive" are different and so is "fun".

Camping and hiking in the national parks is fun I.M.O. [and they are plentiful and spectacular in the West] but you may find Hostels and city's to be so. Have a look around the forums and give us some more info to work with.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

In general, I'm just looking for suggestions for even as much as where to go, as in what cities or areas.
    I guess, to be specific, I'm looking for interesting and "englightening" stops; musems, parks, art galleries, and so on, but things that wont break my budget.
    As far as my budget goes, I will only have about 1,000 to work the trip on. I am not above camping in a park/sleeping in my car, and in fact I plan on it.

Joplin MO

If you are referring to camping in a national park, this requires a permit and usually a reservation. If you mean a city park, that will get you arrested. The only safe place to sleep in your car is a truck stop, and that gets pretty noisy. If you plan on visiting several national parks, buy a year's pass for 80 bucks at the first one you get to. This only covers admission - a campsite is extra.