Default Midwest Road Trip Suggestions

Hey To All
    I'm new to the forum as I'm looking for road trip ideas for this coming summer. It will be a followup to our 2008 road trip where my 18 year old son and I drove the length of Route 66 from Chicago to LA in my old Corvette. It was incredible.

We're not looking for something quite so ambitious for 2009 and will include my wife and 16 year old daughter this year, following behind us in the family minivan. Our starting point will be home here in Bloomington, IL. I'm looking for ideas for a 1 week trip. Thoughts of doing the Lake Michigan circuit go through my mind. Pehaps heading south down to New Orleans through Memphis and some of the Civil War sights. Other thoughts include a circle around Pennsylvania or trip through Arkansas and Western Tennessee.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy Motoring,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Lincoln Highway Perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by KixOn66 View Post
    Our starting point will be home here in Bloomington, IL.
    Maybe you should think about doing a section of the Lincoln Highway? Here's my review for the ultimate guide book to the route.
    Thoughts of doing the Lake Michigan circuit go through my mind.
    Here's a thread about doing a circuit of all five the Great Lakes.
    Pehaps heading south down to New Orleans through Memphis and some of the Civil War sights. Other thoughts include a circle around Pennsylvania or trip through Arkansas and Western Tennessee.
    Here's a 13-circuit of Atlanta that might provide some ideas.

Mark

Wow Mark, that Great Lakes link looks like just what I could use. Thanks for posting it.

Lifey who will have a couple of spare weeks in September

Default Wow, love the ride!

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums,

I can't offer any help regarding your trip, but............

It will be a followup to our 2008 road trip where my 18 year old son and I drove the length of Route 66 from Chicago to LA in my old Corvette. It was incredible
    I would like to say your 'Vette looks amazing, I love it ! What a great ride to share with your son, it must of been incredible.

Dave.

Dave
    It was a pretty incredible trip with my son. We will both never forget it. As for the Vette, it's been with me for 12 years with a "vision" to restore it but I've never quite gotten around to it. Maybe someday. We're having too much fun driving it. After I've been on this forum for awhile they'll let me post our website with the story of the trip. It was quite the adventure, worthy of an episode of the old TV show "Route 66". You can see some more pics then.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-03-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added link to post about this trip!

Default Some ideas

If you are a Civil War buff, I can't think of any place better than traveling through Virginia, via Pennsylvania (Gettysburg) and Maryland (Antietam). Here's a rough first-half of the trip itinerary.

First Day
    Bloomington to Pittsburgh, PA

Second Day
    Pittsburgh to Gettysburg
    then
    Gettysburg to Antietam

Third Day
    Antietam to Appomattox, via Skyline Drive

From here, if it were me, I'd take a route through the Appalachian mountain country of Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky, before heading back home to Bloomington. An ideal time for this would be in late May - early June, as the humidity will be less than later in the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by KixOn66 View Post
    As for the Vette, it's been with me for 12 years with a "vision" to restore it but I've never quite gotten around to it. Maybe someday. We're having too much fun driving it.
    That's the best way to enjoy a classic car, anyway. Besides, if you went through a total restoration, you'd probably be too scared to drive it afterwards.

Hey Mass Tim - Thanks for your suggestions. We did the Gettysburg tour about 4 years ago and it was excellent. We hired one of the guides to drive around the battlefield with us in our minivan. He did a great job of engaging the kids along the way. I was very impressed and highly recommend that to anyone considering a trip to Gettysburg.

Your suggestions on Antietam and Appomattox are excellent. I'm also intrigued with the Skyline Drive suggestion. That is a part of the country I've always wanted to see more of.

The challenge with most of the East Coast destinations is that you burn up 2 days of a 7 day trip just getting there and getting back. That is why I've put some thought to heading south to Memphis and on to Shiloh and maybe New Orleans. I'm also thinking about the idea of heading north into Wisconsin and Michigan. Have you got any thoughts on either of those?

Cheers
    Mike

PS - thanks again for your note and your comments on old cars... I too am a believer in driving them. Even if I do restore it someday it will be with an eye towards driving it.

Hey Mark - Thanks for the suggestions and links. The Lincoln Highway book sounds like a great one. Your review was very informative. My thoughts of a circuit around Pennsylvania would include a significant portion on the Lincoln Highway. I had heard a suggestion about he Pennsylvania circuit from a discussion on the NCRS Tech Discussion Board. Have you heard of others doing this? I'll try to dig up that old post to see if I can get some more ideas.

Boy that UK Craig sure has some traveling adventures. The link to his 2007 trip was excellent. Thanks for sharing that as well. I have alot to think about before coming up with our plans for this summer.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-04-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo in Craig's name (UK Greg)

Default Rollin's map

Mike,

You ought to look at Rollin's thread here and look at his map for the portion of the trip you are considering. Motorcycle versus a car -- but kindred spirits otherwise methinks.

Mark