Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default West Coast Road Trip 2009

Hi guys

After discussing a possible coast to coast trip it looks like our budget might not stretch that far. Therefore we are rethinking our possible trip for next summer. Instead of doing the coast to coast we are thinking of concentrating on the west coast and doing a grand circular route so I would welcome your views on the initial route:

LA
    San Francisco
    Somewhere between San Fran and Portland
    Portland
    Seattle
    Somewhere between Seattle and Salt Lake City
    Salt Lake City
    Moab
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas
    Death Valley/Mojave
    LA

We are thinking of doing this in about 2.5 weeks. I'd welcome your views on the route, time period and also good places to see along the way. We have heard that Oregon is really nice but often not visited.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-01-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Linked to Previous Thread

Default bringing it down

Doing your trip as a circle certainly should bring your costs down, especially for car rental and airfare. The other big factor in a trips cost is simply time, so if you're cutting things down from a month long trip into 2.5 weeks, you should save some money there too.

2.5 weeks will give you time to make this trip, although I think some of the driving distances may be larger than you might think. For example, if you are planning to take the Pacific Coast Highway, you should plan a 2 day drive from LA to SF and at least 3 days from SF to Portland.

West coast trips are very popular on this forum (including Oregon), so I think I'd recommend first simply doing a search and take a look at the other ideas already generated about the places you're thinking of stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    if you are planning to take the Pacific Coast Highway, you should plan a 2 day drive from LA to SF and at least 3 days from SF to Portland.
    Definitely two days to SF, and if you want to see the beautiful Humboldt Forest area, the redwoods, the Avenue of Giants, as well as the most westerly point of the 48 States and Oregan coastline, you will want to take at least three days.

If it were me, I would be doing this in an anti-clockwise direction, so that you are driving on the coast side of the road. A lot less hassle not having to cross other traffic to see all the sights.

Mark
    I definitely agree with LifeMagicians suggestion of the "anti-clockwise" route. You want to do the drive from Seattle to LA with the ocean on the right side. The drive along the coast is stunning. Each leg has great highlights. Some suggestions along the way:

* Victoria BC - If you can do this it's a great side trip accessed by ferry from the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. You can save money by parking your car and taking the ferry as a walk on. Then you can tour the sights, including the Buchardt Gardens, via double decker bus in Victoria. You can overnight in Victoria or come back to Washington the same day depending on ferry schedules.
    * Oregon Coast - The entire length is rugged and wild. You'll really want to take in this section.
    * Coos Bay, Oregon - This is a great little fishing village with a beautiful bridge.
    * Monterey, CA - Great old fishing town turned into upscale resort. Lots of history and if you time it right you might see some incredible old cars as it is the scene of many auctions and vintage racing events.
    * Hearst Castle at San Simeon, California - This is a must see. Incredible history. Great tour. Be sure to watch the full video at the visitors center to get a glimpse into the history and background of William Randolph Hearst (at the time the world's richest man) and his dream. Hearst and San Simeon were the inspiration for the classic movie Citizen Kane. You may want to watch that in the months prior to coming over.
    * Santa Barbara - Great town with great food and shopping if you're so inclined.
    * Santa Monica - You'll love the pier. This is the traditional end of Route 66 (the official end is a non-descript street corner about a 1/2 mile away). Be sure to see the statue of Will Rogers in the park adjacent to the pier. Will was the unofficial booster of Route 66 and a fountain of homespun wisdom and humor.

I've driven all of this route in sections, with the exception of Medford, OR to San Francisco in the years that I lived on the West Coast. It is a tremendous drive. I've only shared a few of the highlights. You will love it.

Cheers
    Mike

5. Default Grand Canyon North or South Rim

Hi guys

I've received plenty of good advice before about our summer honeymoon road trip and now need some help on the Grand Canyon leg of the trip.

As an update, we are flying to San Fran on the 7th July 2009 then driving down Highway 1 to LA, across to Death Valley, then to Las Vegas. After that the Grand Canyon, followed by Canyonlands area and onto Moab. From there we will go to Salt Lake City, Yosemite and then back to San Fran in time to fly back on the 28th July. Obviously stopping at various places along the way.

After Las Vegas we are trying to decide whether to go to the north or south rim of the Grand Canyon. If we go to the south rim we would get better views but it would take longer to then get back around to Zion, Bryce and then Moab/Arches. However if we go north rim, we would get poorer views, but would be much closer to the canyonlands area and could spend more time here rather than driving.

Could I get some tips on which one of these might be better?

Also any advice on accommodation at the south rim?

We may be stopping around Escalante in south Utah. Any advice on this area?

Any advice on accommodation in the middle of Death Valley?

Thanks again
    Mark
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 03-01-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Merged AGAIN - Stop creating multiple threads about the same trip.

Quote Originally Posted by marklynam View Post
    After Las Vegas we are trying to decide whether to go to the north or south rim of the Grand Canyon. If we go to the south rim we would get better views but it would take longer to then get back around to Zion, Bryce and then Moab/Arches. However if we go north rim, we would get poorer views, but would be much closer to the canyonlands area and could spend more time here rather than driving.
    Not sure who told you that the views from the North Rim are inferior to those from the South Rim.

The North Rim is every bit as spectacular as the South, and in places, more so. One thing the North Rim has going for it is that it is much less crowded than the South. Parking is easier, it is easier to drive to many of the short walks - all of which take your breath away.

And on a clear night, it is well worth staying to watch the sunset... only problem you will have is choosing from where.

And as you say, you will be much closer to all the other attractions you wish to visit.

I have been to the South Rim once, and the North three times, and far prefer it to the South. And if you want to stay 'near' the park, Kanab is a great little place.

Default Agreed.

I have read many times what lifey has just said.

You will get great views from the North rim [perhaps not as many] and a lot of people who have visited both prefer it for it's more remote feel with less visitors.

Zion and Bryce are great places and the more time you have there the better

8. Default Death Valley

Hi guys

We are now less than 2 months away from our road trip/honeymoon. Most stuff is sorted but just wanted to check on options for Death Valley.

This is our road trip:

San Francisco - arrive 7th July, pick up car 9th July

Drive down along Highway 1, stay somewhere along the way for night of 9th.

Arrive Los Angeles on 10th July, leave on 12th

Drive to Death Valley, stay over on 12th, leave on 13th

Arrive Las Vegas on 13th, leave on 16th

Arrive North Rim Grand Canyon Lodge on 16th, leave 18th

Drive through Canyonlands and stay somewhere along the way on 18th

Arrive Moab on 19th, leave on 22nd

Arrive Spanish Fork City/Salt Lake for rodeo on 22nd, leave 23rd

Drive along Loneliest Road and stay somewhere on 23rd

Arrive Yosemite on 24th, leave 26th

Arrive San Francisco 26th, leave 28th

Really looking forward to it now. Booked accommodation in San Fran, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Moab and Yosemite but leaving rest to when we get there. However I'm aware that Death Valley may be difficult to find a place to stay. I've tried the two main village but no luck. As such as other suggestions?

Thanks

Default Panamint springs?

It soon comes around !

I'm aware that Death Valley may be difficult to find a place to stay. I've tried the two main village but no luck. As such as other suggestions?
    I presume you mean Stovepipe wells and Furnace creek ? Have you tried at Panamint springs resort. It's not a recommendation as such as I have never stayed there.
    If you have no luck there you could carry on to Lone Pine if there are lodgings still available.
    I guess you know that you can't actually drive through canyonlands but you can visit different points of it, like Island in the sky [Dead horse point] which the access is located close to Moab or further South the Needles district.
    On the 18th you could make flying visits to Bryce and Capitol reef on the way through.

It's a great trip you have to look forward too and I hope we hear how it turned out on your return.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-06-2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Clarity

10. Default Death Valley

Yep its those two villages which I've tried. I've emailed Penamint Springs but still waiting on a response.

We are driving along Highway 12 through Escalante when we leave the north rim and drive to Moab.