Default Roadtrip from California to Washington D.C.

While I am not new to RVing, I am new to planning long trips. My husband and I thought it would be fun to take our 3 children and black lab on an extended RV trip from CA to Washington D.C. in our 34' motorhome (we will probably have a different opinion when it's over!). We were thinking of doing this in July. Two questions - Is a month long enough to go from CA to Washington D.C. and stop and see things along the way? Does anyone have any must sees to include in our route?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default reasonable

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A month is a reasonable amount of time for this trip. Its enough time to do a little exploring in lots of areas, but it might be tough to really dig into any one specific place. Figure about a week to drive each direction, so you'll have about 2 weeks to divide up your time for exploring.

Its a bit impossible to answer a must see question when you are talking about a trip across the continent, plus you haven't really told us much about what you hope to see and do while you are on the road. However, this A-Z list will give you a good starting point for things to do in every state.

Thanks for the encouragement. We are looking to see anything "historical" or National Parks/Monuments. I realize that is all encompassing. We understand that we can't see it all, but as a teacher, it would add a depth to my history instruction. I went to the link you posted, and it's a great starting place.

Tucson, AZ

Default History Galore

Somehow I doubt that you'd have any trouble finding a number of historic sites while crossing the country twice, but here a few general and specific suggestions. First is to plan on taking two different routes east and west, thus maximizing the territory you cover. Secondly, especially on the way home, think about the historic, and not so historic, figures who have made this journey before you: Lewis and Clark, the Voyageurs, the Pioneers and Settlers, the Mormons, etc., etc. Also, don't be afraid to just wander into the odd small town and look up the local historical society or visitor center. I've had great luck finding many small out of the way museums this way that offer a local, detailed piece of the puzzle that makes the greater historic story into which it fits much more meaningful and real. Anyway, some specifics...

I-80/I-76/I-70 is certainly the most direct route between the Sacramento area and DC, so that should be one of the ways you go. Historic highlights would be the old Oregon Trail especially through western Nebraska, and the National Road through Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Another possible basic route would be I-64/I-44/I-40/I-5 with highlights including the Civil War battlefields of Virginia, the Shenandoah Valley, Monticello, the Museum of Westward Expansion, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Santa Fe, Albuquerque and the Grand Canyon.

A few places that you could fit into one or the other of those legs that I've found interesting are Nauvoo, IL; Hannibal, MO; the Amana Colonies in Iowa; and I'm just going to stop now - you get the idea.

Wow! Thanks so much. It helps me wrap my mind around researching and planning.

Happy New Year,