Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Me and my friends...

Me and a few friends of mine are planning to take a road trip this summer, the summer before 12th grade. We all have our licenses.

Here's our roadtrip:

We leave from Rockville Maryland.
    To Baltimore
    To Philly
    To Pittsburgh
    To Canton
    To Detroit
    To Chicago
    To Nashville
    To Chattanooga
    To Atlanta
    To Spartanburg
    To Charlotte
    To Richmond/Virginia Beach

Got ANY suggestions about the cities we go to? OR any cities along the way that we might have to visit.

2. Default

Sorry but I forgot to mention we've been getting a lot of conflicting reports about being 18. In terms of lodging (hotels, motels) do we need to be 18 or do we just need a credit card because we will all have credit cards. Also aside from lodging are there any other problems that could come up not being 18?? Lastly if one of us was 18 would that solve all our problems? or would we all need to be 18? Any help would really be appreciated thanks so much. I'm a long time observer of this forum but first time poster and I must say its very helpful. So thanks again for all the help

Default Are all of the parents supportive of this plan?

Quote Originally Posted by maneatingbaby View Post
    I'm a long time observer of this forum but first time poster and I must say its very helpful. So thanks again for all the help
    Welcome as a posting member of the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Yeah, you are going to find it difficult to rent motels if there isn't someone over 18. Are all of the parents supportive of this adventure? Here's an article you can share with them to get this idea pulled together.

Looking at your route -- this looks like a very expensive trip -- How are you doing the funding? By the way, you ought to have every member of this adventure take this quiz and then discuss the results to make sure you are all thinking about the same kind of trip!

Mark

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Welcome as a posting member of the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Yeah, you are going to find it difficult to rent motels if there isn't someone over 18. Are all of the parents supportive of this adventure? Here's an article you can share with them to get this idea pulled together.

Looking at your route -- this looks like a very expensive trip -- How are you doing the funding? By the way, you ought to have every member of this adventure take this quiz and then discuss the results to make sure you are all thinking about the same kind of trip!

Mark
    Well, funding wise, we don't think the budget'll have to be over $4500, which we have available from jobs and the like. My parents are very supportive, as are one of my friends, but my other friend hasn't exactly, um, told them yet.

5. Default

If we do indeed wait until were 18 will having 3 people stay in a motel be a problem? Do most motels let 3 to a room? we are fine having a rotation of one person sleeping on the floor if there are only two beds. But just wondering if we can get a way with one hotel room for three people.

Default threes a breeze

A standard motel room will come with 2 double beds and easily sleep 4 people, so you should be fine there. Some places (motel 6 in particular) will charge a little more for having more than 1 or 2 people, but its a pretty nominal amount.

Having everyone over 18 will make the trip easier, but you should know that there are some motels that have 21 year old age restrictions. You should still be able to find places that will have you, but its just something you'll have to prepare for.

7. Default

Looking at the itinerary would you guys say that if we stay at cheap motels every night and really don't splurge for anything, spending max 40 dollars a day on tickets/items that we can do this each person for about 1300 so 4200 ish in total?? Thanks for the help again
    -Brad Grosberg

Default We need the days parameter

The itinerary doesn't really give us enough information. The rule of thumb I use is $100 per person per day. So is your trip expected to be more than 13 days total? Some of the regulars on this forum, can cut this down to $45 per day, but even that would only account for about 28 days -- So, how long were you planning to be on the road?

And you asked for the "chat" option, but you haven't responded to any of the three responses options -- so....

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-01-2009 at 08:59 PM.

9. Default

Well Mark thanks for the quick response, were planning to be on the road about 14 days, and were thinking that we'll try and cut our expenses down from the 100 dollar mark, to about maybe 90 dollars a day for about 1200 total. In terms of the itinerary we aren't really too sure of the things we want to do, we want to go to some amusement parks, but they're a little pricey so we'll stay clear. We'll probably go to lots of parks because hey the price is right.
    Thanks, Brad Grosberg

10. Default Finding Motels

How do we find cheap motels in the 40-65 dollars range, before we set out on our trip? Is there a website that has all this information on it?? thanks
    - Brad Grosberg
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 01-01-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Merged -- Please do not start new threads for the same trip!