1. Default San Diego to Albany march.

Driving from San diego to albany ny for a new job. never drivin outside of 4-5 hours straight before . givin myself 5 days to do this any advice?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

This is about 2900 miles, so 5 days would be the minimum we would recommend for this trip - coast to coast is generally five days, keeping on the safe side. That puts you at about 11-12 hours behind the wheel for each of those days. If you can add an extra day or two, I would recommend it. At the very least, it would take some of the stress off the trip.

Every few hours stop and get out of the car, take a walk, stretch, etc.
    Before you start to feel drowsy, find a place to stay for the night. Better to get the details out of the way while you still have your wits about you, plus you'll be more refreshed the next morning and able to get back on the road.

Make sure somebody close to you knows where you're going to be, and check in with that person when possible.

Good luck in your new job!

Keep "in the know" about the weather on your route. Upstate New York, especially along I-90, is subject to incredible lake effect snow. Normally you'll have a day's warning about it, so you can alter your route and come in from the South into Albany.

Joplin MO

My mapping program says 2900 miles and 41 hours 35 minutes wheel turning time. This is via I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80/I-90. There is a good southern alternate that's less than 50 miles longer and will add about an hour and a half to the trip. This will keep you away from the lakes. This would be I-8/AZ-85/I-10/AZ-101/I-17/I-40/I-44/I-70/I-81/I-78/I-287/I-87. On a 5 day trip, suggested overnights are near:

Somewhere between Holbrook AZ and Gallup NM
    Somewhere between Amarillo and OKC
    St Louis MO
    Wheeling WV

4. Default

Thanks alot .all the info really helps.

what is the best way to keep up on the weather.?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default no shortage

Keeping up on the weather on the road really isn't different from how you'd do it any other time.

If you have a computer with you for your trip, you can certainly use the internet to stay up to date, but thats just one easy way. Every motel room I've ever been in has had the weather channel, you can always listen to the radio or pick up a newspaper, and even some truck stops will have weather/road condition information available.

South of England.

Default Plenty of choices

The weather channel is a good source, either from the Internet or T.V. from your hotel room but there are numerous resources.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by boltzfan View Post
    Thanks alot .all the info really helps.

Listen to the car radio!!

I recall well - 2001 - driving along route 36 in the western half of Kansas (I had meant to be on I-80, but got lost) and I was listening to the radio.

When I heard that storm watchers were to call in every 10 minutes because the automatic system was down, my ears pricked up.

Every 10 minutes for all storm watchers in the area north of I-70 and south of I-80. That is exactly where I was!

When I heard the word 'tornado' mentioned for the first time, I looked out to my left and got the shock of my life. The sky was not dark, it was black!

At that moment I decided this was not the time to be featured on the front page of a newspaper, and put my foot down. I have never driven sooooooo fast.

Lifey who made it safely to Denver

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Weather Radio

Quote Originally Posted by boltzfan View Post
    Carry a radio that picks up the NOAA weather broadcasts -- you can carry a separate radio -- but just about every CB radio has this feature built-in and I recommend that every road tripper carry a CB -- even if it is hand-held - here are four CB articles that will provide everything you would need to know.

First, overview of what CB radios are (that I wrote)
    How to Pick a CB Radio by Andrew Youderian (RTA's official CB expert)
    How to Choose and Mount a CB Radio Antenna
    Tuning Your CB Radio Antenna