Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Two week east coast road trip

Hi,

Me and a friend are doing a two week road trip accross the east coast of the USA.

All we know is that we will fly into the North East somewhere at the end of March for two weeks and hopefully fly out somewhere in the south. We obviously know about the big cities to visit but are also interested in the small but cultural and entertaining smaller places around the area. Any interesting university towns etc.

Does anybody have specific transport advice etc.

Would be grateful for any advice

Thanks

Default What Did You Have in Mind?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, what sort of 'transport advice' are you looking for? You say it's going to be a RoadTrip, so I assume you'll be renting a car. You are both over 21 aren't you? Besides the major cities, there are scenic areas such as Cape Cod, the Delaware Water Gap, the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Parkway, the Outer Banks of North Carolina. For history, there's Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas, Jamestown, Forts Raleigh and Sumter. And for smaller, quieter areas, there are the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, the Delmarva Peninsula, and Mount Rogers National Recreation Area

AZBuck

Default U-towns

Quote Originally Posted by d94ccm View Post
    . Any interesting university towns etc.
    Amherst and Northampton, MA - UMass
    New Haven - Yale
    Charlottesville, VA - University of Virginia
    Chapel Hill, NC - University of North Carolina

There is a list at Wikipedia.

4. Default

Yeah we are looking at driving, i'm 29 and my friend is 26. We are wondering if is better and cheaper to get an RV or to rent a car and then stay at hotels. We really don't know where to start just yet?

Which is probably the best international airport to fly out in the south east once we have got there?

Thanks for all the locations so far! i'm running through them now!

Olly

Default costs airports

Renting an RV is almost never a cheaper option than renting a car and staying in motels. Also, if you are traveling in march, you might find that many of the campgrounds and other services for RVs will still be closed for the season.

I would imagine that Atlanta and Miami would have far and away the most options for international travel, with Orlando possibly having some direct options. Otherwise, I'd guess you'd be looking at having a connecting flight somewhere.

6. Default Flights to Boston out of Georgia

I'm looking to do a road trip in March and April

Does anyone have any advice for finding cheap flights for these, i can find ok flights from London to Boston but i can't seam to find any cheap ones from Atlanta to London, The all seam to be about £800. Is this standard or really expensive.

Are there any sites that people sometimes use?

Olly
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-01-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Merged Question back with original thread

You may want to look at a round trip to/from Boston both ways. This will not only save you airfare, but eliminate the "dropoff charge" for renting a car and leaving it in a different city. It's an easy 2 day drive from Atlanta back to Boston point to point. You could also go from Boston to Atlanta via one scenic route and back via another - mountains on the way down and coast on the way back, for example.

Default one way

I agree with GLC that if you want to save money, then you should look at driving back to Boston. You'll save both by having a cheaper round trip airfare and you also won't have the one way drop off fee.

Finding a discount domestic carrier back to boston might be your best bet. You can certainly look around all the major travel booking sites like Expedia and Travelocity, although I think Kayak and ITA are two of the better ones for comparing the largest amounts of data and options.

I picked April 7 for a date, and a one way fare on Delta from ATL to BOS is around $100 a person after taxes and fees. This is a Web-ony fare with Expedia, and is not refundable and carries a $180 charge to rebook.

10. Default

Guy's thatnks for your help with this. It is really usefull! Our trip is starting to take shape!

Olly