Thread: SF > Vegas

1. Default SF > Vegas

Hey Everyone!

I read around here a bit and thought this to be a great resource- so Iw anted to run my plans across everyone here and get some feedback.

Jan 16-24th, I'll be Road Tripping the West Coast for the first time! January has me a bit concerned for weathers sake... but I guess Im rolling the dice.

I'll be landing in San Jose, and this is my loose route for the time being- emphasis on the Cali Coast the whole way down ... can't wait to see those views.

San Jose > Napa (1-2 night)
    Napa > San Fran (1-2 night
    San Fran > Big Sur (Hiking, and stayng somewhere on the road south of Big Sur)
    Sig Sur > LA (not sure if I want to stop inbetween here for a night since it's a hearty haul, but I'm open for suggestions on locations)
    LA > Vegas (Vegas for a night or 2 pending on when I get there)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc are welcome.

Thanks for all the info so far, and for reading!

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Jan 16-24th, I'll be Road Tripping the West Coast for the first time! January has me a bit concerned for weathers sake... but I guess Im rolling the dice.
    A nice trip and you may be able to change your plans slightly according to the weather.

You have the time to do what you have laid out but unless there is a special reason for visiting L/A, I wonder if you would be better off leaving it out and heading across to Vegas from further up the coast [Morro bay, Santa Maria for instance] and having more time there. It's just a thought as L/A is huge and if you arrive at night and leave in the morning it will limit you to a night out but take up quite a bit of time from elsewhere.

Here's a list of some places of interest along the coast

3. Default

Thanks Dave.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think LA is crucial for me to visit, and like you said, it would be a stopover for a night or so. I'll have to look into heading out west from some other point more north as you mentioned.

4. Default

Is there anything of interest in the drive east to Vegas? Ive located much ont he coast to see, but not much en route to Vegas.

Any takerS?

Default Death valley

Hi Billy,

A trip across Death valley is a must do in my opinion, it's a fascinating landscape. You could take the 178 outside of Bakersfield to Lake Isabella and on to Ridgecrest and up towards Pannamint, passing Ballarat ghost town. This will take you to the 190 which will pass through the sand dunes near Stovepipe wells, Furnace creek where you can eat and have a look around at the museum and gardens and even take a side trip to Badwater, the lowest point in the States. Continue on the 190, passing some view points and head for Pahrump by heading straight on at Death valley junction onto the State line/Ash Meadow road. Get on the 160 to Vegas. A great drive !
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-30-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added a link with the map route for the DV to Las Vegas

6. Default

I like the look of it...

So, cut east at Cambria? Or is there anything south of Cambria I should check out...

Thanks for all your help...

Default Choices.

If you have the time you could continue on to the Morro bay area, although I have not been there I have heard it's a lovely little town and has a State park to visit.

It's certainly an option.