Thread: PHX to VLA NM

Default PHX to VLA NM

I am thinking of going back to the southwest this late January for 7 days. I've been there once already and really enjoyed it. And since there's a seat sale on right now (and an escape from canada in the winter for some driving would be nice)....I figured I'd look into coming back.

this time around I'd like to go to new mexico, and see the VLA and possibly santa fe. My base idea is this:

Day one - fly in, get car drive to flagstaff
    Day two - flagstaff to visit a friend
    Day three - drive out to NM
    Day four / five / six - sightsee around NM (VLA / Santa fe)
    Day seven - drive back to PHX
    Day eight - fly out

Unfortunately, the seat sale is only for Phoenix, so flying into ABQ is out. :)

Do-able? Also any suggestions / warnings / points of interest are as always, welcomed.

Last edited by _nadine; 12-20-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default But Of Course

A week's vacation/RoadTrip between Phoenix and Albuquerque is certainly feasible. In fact, I'm in the midst of planning a similar trip for my wife and myself from Tucson to Albuquerque. It's roughly a day's drive between Albuquerque and either Flagstaff or Phoenix, still leaving you several days to poke around central New Mexico, just as you've budgeted.

I certainly hope you and your friend plan on getting to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff, but in addition, given your interest in the VLA, I suspect that you might also be interested in a visit to the Lowell Observatory. On the drive to Albuquerque, there's also Meteor Crater just off I-40 near Winslow.

While in Albuquerque, some other sites you might want to consider include Petroglyph National Monument, the Salinas Pueblo Missions, and UNM's Meteorite Museum.

Finally, for the drive back to Phoenix, if you feel like a more leisurely and scenic drive, consider heading back by the VLA and take US-60 across central New Mexico and Arizona, through the Salt River Canyon.

Last edited by AZBuck; 12-21-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Salt River Canyon looks very pretty.

The last time I was down, I ran by the canyon and a couple of other places you mentioned, including Lowell (which was all kinds of dorky fun).

Though, right now I'm a little shocked at car rental prices, which seem to be more expensive than my flight (!). :)

Tucson, AZ

Default One Other

It occurred to me that there is one more scenic and interesting option you should be aware of on your way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque.