1. Default Texas to New Mexico

Hi!
    My husband and I are thinking about driving from Houston to Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos, New Mexico, this winter. Any advice? Are we crazy?? :)
    THANKS!
    Alycia

Default Enjoy !

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Any advice? Are we crazy??
    Crazy for doing a roadtrip? I hope not that makes everyone here crazy ;-)

I am not sure what advice we can offer other than the normal, check your car over making sure all is in good order, check weather forecasts and pack accordingly.

If you are looking for places of interest then Carlsbad caverns, Whitesands N.M, Acoma pueblo village, Rio Grande gorge [between pilar and Taos] and Taos Pueblo are some options between [near to] the places you have mentioned.

Have a great trip.

3. Default

Hi!
    Thanks for your reply! Let me give you some more details. We are planning on heading out from Houston in the afternoon on Christmas Eve. We will drive to Carlsbad, Roswell, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and then Taos. Then we will head all the way back to Houston. We have until January 4th to get back to Houston. Do you think we are trying to cram too much in?
    THANKS!!
    Alycia :)

Default Easy

You can do the driving portion of your trip, the complete circuit out and back to Houston, in four relatively relaxed days of about 500 miles a day. That leaves you 7 days to see the places you'll be driving to. That is a very, very easy pace to maintain and hardly qualifies as trying to cram in too much. No trip is going to let you see everything possible, but yours will certainly let you get to most of the highlights, and Dave has made some very good suggestions. Do you need more?

AZBuck

5. Default

We have the Lonely Planet USA so we should be fine as far as figuring out what to see, I was mainly just concerned that we were trying to take on too much driving for that amount of time and that we would be left with little time to actually see some sights! Thanks for all your help! :)

Default Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycia View Post
    I was mainly just concerned that we were trying to take on too much driving for that amount of time and that we would be left with little time to actually see some sights! Thanks for all your help! :)
    As Buck said, you have plenty of time for a relaxed pace and to see the sights.

Have fun and it would be great to hear about it when you return.

Dave.

Funny. I am going from Albuquerque to Houston.

Exact opposites!

I used to live up there, if you have any questions about NM, feel free to ask away!