Richmond VA but planning a future move to SW

Default VA thru SW to CA - Weather, Tent Camping Locations, Misc.

Heading out sometime in April with main stops as follows but will also be detouring as time and place suggest. Will be tent camping in campgrounds; public, private, boondocking, occasional affordable motel. Need wifi access locations where available.

Main Stops; 1st stop Abrams Creek/Great Smoky Mountain then to Tulsa OK to Austin TX to Las Cruses NM to Flagstaff AZ Final destination and date, Half Moon Bay by May 21, 09.

Any other info/recommends appreciated. :)

Default WiFi on the Road

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Besides the 'usual suspects' of Starbucks and other coffee shops, there are two great WiFi/Internet/Info resources in many small to moderate towns, and they usually have signs pointing the way!. The first is the local library. In many, you can get a half hour or so access to one of their computers for little to nothing, although on occasion it helps to have your own local library card. Often, we've found that if you have your own computer you can use their WiFi for free while sitting in park like settings around the building. The second resource is local information centers. Although they seldom have WiFi, they'll certainly know where it's available in their town. The bottom line is that WiFi is becoming so ubiquitous, that it's hardly worth worrying about before setting off on a RoadTrip anymore.

AZBuck

A lot of the major truck stop chains; Petro, Flying J, TA, have wifi in some locations. You can check their websites for availability.

Richmond VA but planning a future move to SW

Thank you for the info AZ. Had not thought about checking in at the info Center. Yes, I know it would seem obvious but.... The library would possibly be a place I can charge up my laptop. My laptop is integral to the trip. Plan to post a journal/blogg on line for the folks back home to view. As I will be tent camping, access to recharging my tech gear is something important that I will have to keep up with.

A very handy laptop accessory is a charging cord that plugs into a vehicle lighter socket. A good alternative is a small (~100 watt) inverter that also plugs into the lighter socket. If you have several devices that need to be charged, you could get a larger inverter.

Service can be costly ($60 a month), but you could consider getting an air card for your laptop, which will help you avoid having to chase down wifi. It should work anywhere your cellular carrier has service, but away from metro areas and major highways, it will be at dialup speed.

Gypsy,

In 2007 I travelled some 21000 miles over a period of 5 months, and rarely did I not have access to the internet. Wifi was available at virtually all commercial camp grounds.

You will find that most motels have Wifi free or for a minimal cost. And don't overlook hostels... many of them now have Wifi as well.

As already mentioned, most truckstops have Wifi, most welcome centres along the Interstates do, and so do many libraries. If it is not free, the cost is never more than a couple of dollars. (At least, that is what it was in 2007.)

As for needing a library card, in my three visits to the USA for a total of 15 months, and hundreds of libraries, I have never been refused use of their computers and internet, if one was available.

And I am not even a yankee citizen! LOL

Lifey who lands in LA on 25th April 2009

Default National parks.

Hi Gypsy2Dances,

It's nice to see you on the forums, it looks as though you have a great trip lined up.
    It seems you will have no problems with Wi Fi/ Internet connections, so that's good.
    How about the rest of your trip, Are you still planning on heading to the Grand canyon?
    There are also many other wonderful National parks throughout,which can offer amazing settings/surroundings for camping. Here is there website. If you are planning to visit at least 4 parks I would reccomend purchasing the Annual pass for $80, it will save you money.
    If you need any info regarding other aspects of your trip let us know.

One particular library that I use has free wifi for anyone, but without a library card, use of a terminal is limited to 15 minutes and cardholders have priority.