Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello, need some help

I was recently planning a trip two South Carolina for myself and a significant other from central florida, but that relationship is now over and i have money saved and still want to do a trip. I will hopefully have a few other close friends and i was wondering what would a good idea be? The budget could be anywhere from $500 to $1500, i'm assuming that big of a variation could change things a lot. We will probably aim for a week or less. I made the trip to south carolina last year and it was amazing, it has been my only out of state road trip and i loved it. If it goes through, it will be right after Christmas, so i need suggestions quick! Thanks for any and all help

Default Head for the Mountains

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you've been to Georgia and South Carolina, then you've seen plenty of coast and piedmont, so with 2-3 days to get somewhere, I'd suggest the southern half of the Appalachian Mountains for something a bit different. In a single day's drive from the Orlando area, you could be in northwest Georgia where the mountains begin, and then generally continue northeast from there with possible stops in the Great Smoky Mountains, Asheville NC, Cumberland Gap, Lexington VA, Charlottesville VA, and Shenandoah National Park before heading for home, about a two days' drive if you make it that far north.

You could make that trip alone in fairly comfortable style for $1000-1500, less per person as you add people to share the cost of gas and motels.

AZBuck

Actually, the first trip had a more destination oriented trip so there wasn't much scenic driving.

And thanks for the idea, that sounds great, i have been to asheville and it is a beautiful place.

What about chicago, is this a realistic trip?

And i just started reading through the site, and i think we will probably camp or use a truck stop every night, that will save quite a bit of money right?

And yes, the ideal amount will be 3 or 4 people.

Default Yes and No

Chicago is certainly feasible with a week to travel. It's a bit farther than, say Washington DC as a turnaround point, which means you'd have a bit less time for wandering and sight seeing, but it's still within reason. You could still go by way of the Great Smoky Mountains and also see Mammoth Caves and at least one Great Lake, maybe even get as far west as the Mississippi at some point.

Camping or using truck stops is probably not in the cards given the time of year you plan to be on the road. I took a quick look at the long range forecast for Knoxville TN to get an idea of what you might expect as you head north and it looks like overnight temperatures around freezing with precipitation probable. That calls for being indoors.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-18-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Typo

It is still completely up in the air, i am just trying different ideas. I like the idea of visiting Washington D.C. and using it as the turning point.

Hah, i need to get out of Floridian mindset for traveling; i did not even think about that.

What is the general number of hours that a person would spend on the road per 24 hours of roadtripping?

Default what you make of it

What is the general number of hours that a person would spend on the road per 24 hours of roadtripping?
    That is going to vary wildly depending the person and the trip.

At the maximum, we generally recommend limiting things to 500-600 miles in a day, which is about 10 hours a day on the road with time for travel and basic required stops. You can push things a little more on a one day sprint or if you've got a rotation of drivers, but you have to really be carefully that you don't push yourself into unsafe situations in those cases.

Even a 600 mile/day kind of pace leaves very little time for sightseeing. Of course on the other end of the spectrum, you can have days where you do almost no driving, and you spend all day either relaxing or exploring things locally.

rtc Guest

Default Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by clarkbroham View Post
    Actually, the first trip had a more destination oriented trip so there wasn't much scenic driving.

And thanks for the idea, that sounds great, i have been to asheville and it is a beautiful place.

What about chicago, is this a realistic trip?

And i just started reading through the site, and i think we will probably camp or use a truck stop every night, that will save quite a bit of money right?

And yes, the ideal amount will be 3 or 4 people.
    yeah i live in Washington DC m first is an amazing city im really happy here plus u have so many things to do and so many places to visit specially NYC . Baltimore m VA and MD .... i was used to live in Miami FLorida and i was happy the first year after tha get old and boring , so yeah Washington DC is GREAT LOCATION :o)

Okay, i think we'll go with D.C. We live in Lakeland, which is right in between tampa and orlando, what route/roads do you suggest taking, and what places are suggested for sightseeing and wandering and such?

rtc Guest

Default Washington DC

Okay, i think we'll go with D.C. We live in Lakeland, which is right in between tampa and orlando, what route/roads do you suggest taking, and what places are suggested for sightseeing and wandering and such?
    Good Idea and GREAT CHOICE
    is very simple and easy , just take 95 North and that one will take u here
    i normally stay in Savannah GA to rest me and my dog i did the road trip from Miami to Montreal and was fantastic and i did Miami = NYC several times
    so many place to stay and so many things to do but the BEST is when u here , i live by the White House and is AMAZING ... several hotels in the city
    when u planing to do the road trip ??
    how long u gonna be on the road ???

please, let me know what u need and i will be more than happy to do my best to help

i u have aol my IM is Coddydc

Coddy
    Ps hope u having a great weekend
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-24-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added the quote for clarity

Does going up 95 give you good views of the mountains? And is it a fairly scenic road? We plan on hopefully leaving around the first, and we will try to complete the trip in 6 days because most of us start classes again on the 7th