Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Road trip montreal - new England - washington

Good morning/evening
    I seek your advice, I am writing from London. I place to fly to toronto/montreal and drive south via cape cod to Washington (where we have family). Staying in your country for 4 weeks. I am considering hiring a RV, but it seems to be very expensive (any suggestions on this point).

Is it easy to hire? what are the camping ground like? Does the route sound okay? any suggestions on location?

All ideas welcome

Thank you

2. Default camping!

Looking to travel around New England in late july. Do you know of any campsites which are fully catered, ie, I can hire a tent, plus equipment there?

cheers

Default outfitting

Welcome to the RTA Forum, and our apologies that your first post didn't get a response. We try to respond to each thread relatively quickly, but it looks like yours fell through the cracks.

RVs will be expensive, usually moreso than even renting a car and getting a motel. Plus, if you'll be staying with family, thats more time where you won't really be getting your money's worth.

Generally you can't rent camping gear, unless you find some sort of outfitting company - which would probably eliminate any cost savings. However, camping gear is pretty cheap. You could buy a tent, sleeping bags, and a couple other basics for around $100 from a big box store. The savings would pay for itself pretty quickly.

There may also be an issue with renting a RV in Canada and trying to return it in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post

Generally you can't rent camping gear, unless you find some sort of outfitting company - which would probably eliminate any cost savings. However, camping gear is pretty cheap. You could buy a tent, sleeping bags, and a couple other basics for around $100 from a big box store.
    Some years ago I bought a cheap tent at a large store, a sleeping bag and mat from Craigslist and other requirements from charity stores. After four weeks camping I sold the lot on Craigslist.

All told I was about $25 out of pocket!

6. Default

Thank you,

my thoughts are now steering towards hiring a car and moving from camping grounds, staying in lodges. Although we prefer canvas camping, it would be too much trouble to buy a tent and then sell on later.

Do you have any recommendations regarding lodging, locations?

Also... does anyone know how I can access hotel rooms/lodges for a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children. Most hotels seem to offer ajoining rooms but at double the costs. nobody seems to cater for a family of 5.

Incidentally, the flights are booked, flying into Boston on the 22nd july and out from washington on the 24th August. the plan is to stay north for 2 weeks, New England, Montreal, Niagrea Falls, Then travel to Maryland for 1 week and the Outer banks for a week. then back to washington!

Thank you for your attention.

Default Prefer to camp ?

Hi there,

If you actually prefer to camp I would check out the costs as buying a tent and equipment would be a lot cheaper than lodgings/motels for 5 people for 4 weeks, even if you gave it away to a good cause at the end of your trip.

You should have no problems finding campsites or lodgings by googling a place name of interest and lodgings.

Dave.

Default selling

Many motels will offer rollaway beds for a couple bucks a night, so that would certainly be an option if everyone needs to sleep on a bed. Having 3 kids share a bed or have at least one kid sleep on the floor is also a common solution to this problem.

I will agree with Dave that if you enjoy camping and money is a factor, then simply buying cheap camping gear would seem to work just fine. You could probably get basic camping gear for your entire family for about $200. It would be very difficult to try to sell it as a traveler, but you could simply donate it to a charity. Even if you are simply getting rid of it, its quite likely that the gear would have already paid for itself. Plus, if you'll have the experience of camping, which you said you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskyforme View Post
    Thank you,

my thoughts are now steering towards hiring a car and moving from camping grounds, staying in lodges.
    Don't overlook hostels. Many of them have family / private rooms, and even if they do not, dorms would be great experience for the children. All have kitchen facilities. Google 'hostels', you will find lots of sites. My favourites are hostelz.com, and the hostelhandbook.com.

Default More Hostel Resources