1. Default Current year end trip plan

Hey guys,

Like I have been saying, I have a ton of vacation left :). So as of now, I am leaving on the 23rd of Dec (Tuesday) and returning on the 4th of Jan (Sunday) for a total of 13 days. I am currently planning to visit southern florida. So a total driving time of 4 days, leaving me around 9 days to explore.

Here is approx itinerary:
    a) Everglades Natl Park: 3 nights
    b) Big Cypress Natl Preserve: 3/4 nights
    c) Biscayne Natl Park: 2/3 nights

b) and c) are fairly flexible as the camping is first come first serve, only everglades needs the reservation. If time permits, I will try to spend a few nights in the Dry tortugas island (it is gonna be tough as I have to carry everything with me, including water). I am planning to just wing most of the trip, and let's see what happens.

Now, even after this long vacation, I will still carry over 4 days into next year :). So I will have like 4 and half weeks vacation next year, which is cool. I will plan 4 one week long trips next year, which is just right.

2. Default Update

All right. I am not sure if anyone is interested.

I just came back from my trip to southern FL. I had a wonderful time. Here is the breakdown.

a) Everglades national park: 3 nights
    b) Biscayne national park: 3 nights
    c) Big Cypress national preserve: 3 nights.

I was camped in all these places. The most challenging part of the trip was Biscyane as I had to take the boat out to the islands along with my gear to camp. The no see ums were an absolute horror. By the time I came back to mainland, I was bitten all over and my feet and legs looked like I had a severe skin infection (all red and blotchy).

The weather was just fantastic, sunny and pleasant. I got lots of pictures and shall post the link later.

Default Looking forward to details about the camping

No-See-Ums are nasty! But it sounds like you had a great adventure nonetheless -- with your last post -- you promoted to Road Warrior -- congratulations.

Mark

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    No-See-Ums are nasty! But it sounds like you had a great adventure nonetheless -- with your last post -- you promoted to Road Warrior -- congratulations.

Mark
    Cool. Thanks Mark. So how is this promotion decided? Is it based on the number of posts? Do I get any special privileges :)?

Default Of course, we're interested!

Sounds like a fun trip, besides the bugs. Did you have bug spray? Or netting? Any tips on how to get bitten less?

Any highlights you'd like to share?

Congrats on your promotion!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip, besides the bugs. Did you have bug spray? Or netting? Any tips on how to get bitten less?

Any highlights you'd like to share?

Congrats on your promotion!
    Yes, the trip was a lot of fun. I don't use bug spray as I try to avoid the chemicals :). Yes, you could say I asked for it. I thought I would be able to handle whatever nature threw at me. In fact, I handled the mosquitoes without any probs.

The best campground for me was the monument lake campground in Big Cypress. Simply beautiful and very quiet. This was the final leg of my trip and I enjoyed the camping aspect of the trip. The nights would get a bit chilly, so very nice to sit in front of the campfire and read a paperback.

Default Chilly? In Florida?

I learn something new every day. I didn't think that was possible. :)

8. Default A few pics

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    I learn something new every day. I didn't think that was possible. :)
    Yeah, it was very pleasant. However, this was in the Big Cypress only. Everglades and Biscayne were fairly warm. Of course, it's always possible that a cold front moved in just as I started camping in big cypress.

I have attached a few pics. I am still processing my pics and am uploading to photo.net. I shall post the links once I have uploaded most of my pics to that site. Enjoy these pics in the meantime.

Edit: the pics don't look as good as they do at full res. So don't judge these pics as the original quality!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dinesh75 View Post
    Edit: the pics don't look as good as they do at full res. So don't judge these pics as the original quality!
    Spectacular pictures... bringing back all the memories of my week down there in 2007.

Thanks.

10. Default Links to pics

Hi guys, I have uploaded almost all my pics to photo.net

Here are the links:

a) Everglades: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=886539
    b) Big Cypress: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=886526
    c) Biscayne: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=886364

Enjoy!