1. Default Ideas for summer in the South East?

Hi everybody!! I've been slinking around on here for too long, reading posts and phwooaaaar-ing at the photos etc, so I thought I'd post something.

I'm from the UK and am planning a road trip across the US, from East to West. I've been reading lots of guides and websites, checking out national parks and stuff, and slowly a route is beginning to form in my mind..... I'm starting in Boston and am making my way South West down to Louisiana, then turning West through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

I'm wondering if anyone can give some ideas for things to do and see in July and August in Tennessee, West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina? Any national parks that just shouldn't be missed (I've heard the smoky mountains are great) or even just somewhere to spend the 4th of July.

Any ideas at all would be great!!

Thank you.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

One thing to think about is that this will be the hottest time of year to visit those places. Be prepared for some heat and humidity!

Anyway, with two months to spare, you've got plenty of time.

For the National Parks, check out these links:
    West Virginia
    South Carolina

I would suggest Washington, DC as a great place to celebrate the 4th of July.

One of my favorite places is Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, which is directly on your route, West out of Washington, DC.

You mentioned you've been searching the forums. Are there any particular items you've found that you want more information about? Are you planning on sticking to nature, or do you also want to experience the cities along the way? What are you looking at in terms of lodging?

I'm also from the UK and spent a couple of weeks touring Tennessee and environs this summer. My trip report is posted on this forum and may give you some ideas.

Tucson, AZ

Default Fourth of July

Judging from the general time frame you've listed for your trip, it looks like you're just going to have arrived on these shores. If you're still in the Boston area, the first places I'd look into are the towns of Lexington and Concord just west of Boston. These are where the first battles of the Revolution were fought and I believe they would do some very interesting things. Another suggestion is to just find a small town and check at the local fire station. They will know about any parades (their trucks are usually in them) and any fireworks displays (their trucks will be on standby). Personally, I have had my best times in small towns where the entire population turns out for the parade and fireworks, especially in New England. One other note - Many celebrations will be a day or two before or after the fourth depending on where weekends fall, so plan ahead.