1. Default Road Trips through the Northwest

Heya everyone,

I'm a newb to this forum and I have found a lot of really interesting ideas for neat sounding road trips so far. I come from Cal, San Francisco and have two little boys, ages 9 and 10. While they are still young enough to enjoy such a thing I would like to show them the Northwest.

We are planning on traveling through Oregon, Washington, swinging over to Montana, and heading south until we get to Nevada and returning back home.

We have a good idea of what to see during summer, but I am looking for ideas of what would be good to see during winter. Keeping in mind the ages of my boys.

Tucson, AZ

Default Spaghetti at the Wall

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, I'm considerably older than 9 or 10, but my inner child still lives, and I've been taking my grandsons on a few RoadTrips of late, so let me just toss out a few possibilities in the general area you describe that might appeal to your sons. Since the attractions of the coast and Cascades have been thoroughly covered elsewhere, I'll try to concentrate on the interior. The Columbia River is very scenic with lots of dams - have a look at those and see if any offer tours. Coeur d'Alene is a lovely town with a great downtown park on Coeur d'Alene Lake with plenty of playground equipment, but what your boys might really like best is that there are seaplane rides. As you come down through Idaho to Nevada, I suspect you'll be hading west on I-84 down the Snake River valley. There is a great little fossil museum in Hagerman, and be sure to point out the Thousand Springs all along the north side of the river. If you're feeling a bit adventurous and the roads are clear, take a look at coming down into Nevada initially on ID-51/NV-228 from Mountain Home with stops at Bruneau Dunes and Bruneau Canyon. The later will, I think, particularly appeal to your boys as you get to it by driving down a dirt road through an Air Force bombing range (thus the signs to "Beware of Objects Falling From Planes"), but it is all perfectly safe and at the end you will be at one of the most amazing and seldom seen sights in America. Possible stops in Nevada include Lunar Crater and the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge and both Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire outside Las Vegas.