1. Default Vegas to San Francisco + Hotel/Lodges

Hi Everybody,

With my wife, we are leaving Las Vegas for San Francisco next Monday December 22, and after spending hours reviewing lot of threads of your wonderful forum, I have decided to take this trip:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...e=UTF8&t=p&z=7

Our goal is to take the most scenic roads, no the fastest ones.

1st question, what do you think about taking the 178 to Lake Isabella directly from the Death Valley (Betty Junction) instead of the 190 - 395 and 178 ?

2nd, I am a little bit concerned about the weather. Is there usually a lot of snow on the 178 in December?

3rd, Do you think it's realistic to complete this trip in 4 days staying one night at Lake Isabella/Kernville, one in the Sequoia national park and one in the Yosemite Park ?

Last question but not least, what are the most comfortable hotels/Lodges at Lake Isabella or Kernville, in the Sequoia national park and in the Yosemite Park ?

Thank you very much for your help

Default Locals route.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

1st question, what do you think about taking the 178 to Lake Isabella directly from the Death Valley (Betty Junction) instead of the 190 - 395 and 178 ?
    The 178 is an option but not direct, it will take you from Shoshone to 190 through Beatty junction then back to 178 if you wish.
    The most popular route is to get on the 160 to Pahrump from Vegas. Take the Stateline/ Ash meadows road to Death valley junction and the 190 up through Furnace creek ranch and Stovepipe wells. As well as Furnace creek this will take you past Dantes view and Zabriskie point .
    Near Stovepipe wells you will pass the sand dunes and then you can head South on the Pannamint valley road [178] through Trona [passing Ballarat ghost town] and through Ridgecrest [It feels remote but has a strange charm] or continue to the 395. I would say there are no bad options.

2nd, I am a little bit concerned about the weather. Is there usually a lot of snow on the 178 in December?
    Anywhere this time of year can be subject to snow or icy conditions and it would be best to check current conditions as you travel. This can be done from the comfort of your hotel room using the weather channel.

Last question but not least, what are the most comfortable hotels/Lodges at Lake Isabella or Kernville, in the Sequoia national park and in the Yosemite Park ?
    Some one may come along with first hand experience of lodgings but I would run a search using [town name] and [lodging] and see what appeals to you. You could always check it out on Trip advisor or the like.

Have a great trip.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 12-16-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Clarity.

3. Default Thanks !

Thank you very much Dave for these good advices, very much appreciated.

4. Default Any other thoughts ???

We are leaving in 3 days, does anybody has other thoughts on our trip ?

Default Snow chains.

Hi Ozzy,
    I hope you have a great trip!

Are you carrying snow chains/cables as they may be required. It's a good idea to have a practice run before leaving if you haven't used then before.

Current weather forecast is predicting snow, possibly heavy Monday.

Lodgings, any luck?

As I said previous I have no first hand experience of lodgings as we have travelled through in an R.V.
    However, for Kernville I have heard good things said about This place for comfy lodgings.
    You could also check out Mcnallys Fairview lodge for rustic charm but that is located about 15 miles north of Kernville.

Wuksachi lodge is in a good spot for the Giants forest and a popular choice.

Here's a link to Yosemite accommodations
    . If you don't mind the dollars then the world famous Ahwanhee hotel is a must.
    Outside the park in Groveland is the quaint little Hotel Charlotte but is more a B@B feel.