Default San Diego - North Calif (SFO) road trip

We are planning a family road trip (me, wife, my parents) - leaving San Diego 27th morning, cover the Big Sur, SFO, Yosemite and returning Sat - Jan 3rd evening, giving us around 1 week.
    We are usually very well planned but this trip was thought of at a short notice and therefore we are looking forward to all possible ideas/suggestions :).

THe current tentative plan is to drive from SD towards Big Sur - probably take the PCH along certain popular stretches (suggestions?). We don't plan much hiking on this trip since our parents are with us. So the main focus is on scenic routes, views etc. Then the plan is to proceed on to SFO, stay with a friend and cover the main SFO and surrounding spots (The bridge, lake tahoe, yosemite?? and any other recommended spots) before turning back to SD around the 2nd or 3rd.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

South of England.

Default Surrounding area?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Here are some good tips for popular places Along the coast.
    You could easily take two to three days along here and return on I-5 which would be a long day at the wheel [estimated 9-10 hours].

cover the main SFO and surrounding spots (The bridge, lake tahoe, yosemite??
    You could quite easily spend your remaining 4 days in S/F crossing the bridge to Point Reyes, Napa valley, touring the city, a boat trip to Alcatraz perhaps, or you could have a night at either Lake Tahoe or Yosemite, but expect these to take up to 4-5 hours of travel time respectively, so I wouldn't put these into the "surrounding area" for a day trip category for this time of year with the shorter days.
    I would also keep a close eye on the weather and road conditions for these areas before heading to them at this time of year.

Joplin MO

The most scenic and popular part of the PCH is CA-1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterey. Plan the trip carefully, there's no really good route to avoid LA traffic. What I did last time to go from SD (with no desire or need to look at the coast between SD and north of LA) was take I-15 out of SD to the 210 in Rancho Cucamonga, then 210 all the way to I-5, then north to CA-126, and west to US-101 in Ventura. This will let you check out Santa Barbara on your way up the coast.