1. Default New York City to Miami

Im planning my first roadtrip, it goes like this.

Jan 2nd - Jan 4th NYC to Miami FL
    Jan 4th - Jan 9th cruise ship to mexico
    Jan 9th to ? sight seeing on the return trip, route still in the works.

My concern at this point is the initial trip down to FL.
    microsoft maps and trips puts it at 1293miles.
    I am planning to drive approx 650miles each day, but as i have read more on this forum, I am concerned about traffic in the DC area, inclement weather, and the distance driven each day.

I must be in miami by 12noon to catch the cruise, and was planning to stay in a hotel in Miami area on Jan 3rd.

Do you think i should depart a day earlier? the initial trip down will be straight driving, no sightseeing. I would prefer to do in 2 days, but wanted to hear from experienced drivers.

Also what do most people do about motel reservations. Do you just show up?
    Phone in from the road? Are the prices the same?

Thanks for the advice,

Joplin MO

There really isn't any other route that will save you any time - the best alternate to I-95 all the way adds 100 miles to the trip. If you want to investigate it, it's I-78/I-81/I-77/I-26 to I-95. That route is subject to possible snow and is somewhat mountainous.

If you are doing this solo, 2 days is pushing it. 650 miles with fuel, food, and rest stops and allowing for traffic can have you on the road for up to 14 hours. If you are not experienced in driving long highway hours, I'd add a day and plan on 3 days. If there are multiple drivers and you have a good sized comfortable vehicle, then it wouldn't be too bad.

I generally just show up when I'm ready to stop for the night. I pick Interstate exits at the smaller cities and towns and hit the chain hotels. I usually try for a Super 8 or a Motel 6. I don't need luxury, all I need is a bed and a shower. In general, the larger the city, the higher the prices - and the odds of the cheap hotels being in an unsafe area are greater. It would not hurt to call in from the road to check on availability and prices - I carry a Motel 6, Best Western, and Super 8 directory in the truck. Advance reservations generally won't save you much, and that commits you.

If you take 3 days, look at the possibility of making something like Rocky Mount or Wilson, NC and Brunswick, GA your stops. If you go for 2 days, Florence, SC is right around the midpoint.

South of England.

Default It would be more relaxed.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Do you think i should depart a day earlier?
    I am pretty much echoing what glc has said. But even if you are used to long drives is it really worth turning up for the start of your cruise feeling pretty lousy. It's possible to do it in the two days but you will arrive in better shape taking the extra time. Even leaving lunchtime the day before will knock off a good few hours of the drive.

Have a great time.

4. Default

thank you glc and southwestdave for the advice.

I have decided to leave after lunch on Jan1st.. and have planned to stop 100 miles or so before miami the night before. Trying to spread out the distance a little over 4 days.

My wife will be with me, but she doesnt have a full US drivers license yet so no driving for her. (plus sitting next her while she drives is a nerve racking experience!)

My only long distance driving experience is the 400miles from NY to Buffalo. Did that a few times a yr while in college. I remember the drive always started out fun, but just got long towards the 6 hr mark.

I am torn about whether to make reservations or not, I will probably just print out all the motel 6's & super 8's on the route. I frequently travel abroad, and enjoy a more spontaneous approach rather than having everything planned out.

Joplin MO

No need to print it out - just stop at any Motel 6 and Super 8 and pick up a directory. They are free, and will be in a rack in the lobby. You can do the same thing at just about any hotel chain. A spontaneous approach will be fine unless you hit an area when something big is going on and it's late at night. I have only been shut out completely once - that was in Boulder City, NV on a Saturday night around 9pm. I could have backtracked to Las Vegas and found plenty, I chose to continue to Kingman, AZ where I actually got one of the last rooms in town - and it was at the Super 8. It would not hurt to plan a couple hours in advance and call hotels, if they are almost full, book the room on the phone.