Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Portland OR to San Diego CA during Christmas

Hello All,

Would like to draw on the vast collective experience of the group to plan a road trip from Portland OR to San Diego CA, and back. The relevant details are:

Time available: Dec 24 evening to Jan 1 (may be able to extend to Jan 4)
    Car: Toyota Camry '07
    Drivers: Two
    Purpose of the trip: Simply to have fun, i.e., we don't have anything particular in mind. We are open to suggestions.

Note: We have previously checked out LA and Santa Barbara.

2. Default

Beautiful roads in Oregon, we have often traveled between Portland and California. We usually take Hwy 5 to 58 and then to 97 with a stop in Klamath Falls. You have to pay attention to the weather. These highways run through mountain ranges and winter driving can sometimes be a problem. If it is snowing, I think Hwy 97 to Hwy 5 in Weed CA. is better than Hwy 5 over the Siskiyou Pass.

If it's snowing, I think I'd stay on the coast on 101.

4. Default

Thanks for the responses.

The worst case scenario we are looking at is snow on roads. In that event, is taking the coastal route better than the I-5?

Default One way?

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Is the time frame you mentioned for a one way trip or is that for a "there and back" journey?

6. Default

Portland --> San Diego --> Portland

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by xanim View Post
    The worst case scenario we are looking at is snow on roads. In that event, is taking the coastal route better than the I-5?
    Using the Coastal Route you almost certainly won't see snow, however, you'd be driving along slow going, curvy, 2 lane roads. This route is remarkably scenic, but it takes a long time to drive (at least twice as much as I-5).

I-5 can and does see snow. However, the road is well maintained and gets first priority during a weather event. It also is built to the standards that makes the Interstate system one of the safest highway systems in the world.

If you've only got a week to do this trip round trip, then I don't think the Coast is a particularly viable option. Unless you know that I-5 is closed down because of a major snowstorm, I think you'll be better off simply waiting out a storm on the Interstate.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I-5 can and does see snow. However, the road is well maintained and gets first priority during a weather event. It also is built to the standards that makes the Interstate system one of the safest highway systems in the world.
    I have heard there could be restrictions on I-5 on a snow day such that only vehicles with chains or snow tires are permitted. How true is this?

Also, does it make sense to buy chains for the trip? I have no experience in putting chains on the tires or driving with chains on the tires. Thanks.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by queenmom55 View Post
    Beautiful roads in Oregon, we have often traveled between Portland and California. We usually take Hwy 5 to 58 and then to 97 with a stop in Klamath Falls. You have to pay attention to the weather. These highways run through mountain ranges and winter driving can sometimes be a problem. If it is snowing, I think Hwy 97 to Hwy 5 in Weed CA. is better than Hwy 5 over the Siskiyou Pass.
    Definitely right here. You will want to watch the roads in southern Oregon during that time of year. I was driving up from Cal during the end of November and ended up staying in Redding for two days because of troubling snow conditions.

Yes, the stretch of I-5 over Siskiyou is a chain control area. My standard recommendation for anyone taking a winter road trip in areas subject to snow is to have a set of cable chains with them, and practice putting them on in the comfort of your garage prior to hitting the road. You may never need them, but if you do, you will be glad you have them.