Default Trans-Canada Highway?

Hey guys.
    Back again for more advice.
    Planning on another road trip next summer.

Now, we had been planning a Northwestern loop from SF up the coast, across to Glacier National Park and then down through Idaho and Nevada back to SF again but my girlfriend suddenly suggested Canada. And so, I did a little research and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of material out there (apart from the rather good website) about the Trans-Canada Highway.

Even on here, not many people seem to have attempted it. And that made me wonder - what's wrong with it? Is it dull? Is it too busy?

As some of you may know my preference is to stay in downtown hotels, checking out small towns, meeting locals, etc etc.

Anyway - anyone out there with knowledge of the Trans-Canada Highway?

Thanks...P

Default twos

I've driven several sections of the Trans-Canada, in all different parts of the country, but even then its probably only around 25% of the route that I've driven.

It certainly could be a nice route to do a cross country trip. Unlike a US interstate, the Trans-Canada is not a 4 lane freeway. There are many stretches that are 2 lanes, although they do put in a passing lane fairly frequently. That may be why you don't hear as much about it; for almost any trip across Canada, it is faster to go down to the US and take I-90/I-94 across the continent.

Its certainly not too busy, and you'll get a nice mix both of Canada's major cities as well as some pretty remote areas and the small towns in between. I think it would fit things that you like pretty well, really.

Thanks Michael. Did you drive the prairie stretch?

Default portions

I've driven portions of the Prairie, from Winnipeg into Saskachewan, although its been about 10 years so I'm a little sketchy on the details. However, I remember having a good time and stopping in a few small towns for lunch and/or drinks.

I've also driven a relatively short stretch in BC from near Vancouver east, however I detoured onto Route 3 and stayed closer to the US Border when the route turns north towards Calgary. I've also driven parts of the route in Ontario. The sections in far West Ont. near lake of the woods still stand out as being very scenic. I also enjoyed the stretch from Sault Ste. Marie over into Quebec, which started with some nice fishing villages and continued into mining country through some otherwise pretty scenic and fairly remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    It certainly could be a nice route to do a cross country trip. Unlike a US interstate, the Trans-Canada is not a 4 lane freeway. There are many stretches that are 2 lanes, although they do put in a passing lane fairly frequently. That may be why you don't hear as much about it; for almost any trip across Canada, it is faster to go down to the US and take I-90/I-94 across the continent.
    Michael, they are all the reasons why I would choose to go through Canada.

Where does this obsession with speed come from? Driving just from one place to another on a interstate means you miss most of the interesting sights and people along the minor roads and in small town America/Canada.

Maybe it is fine for business, who are not 'tripping', but when I want to explore the country I find that the interstates are the least user friendly for information on local culture, peoples and places.

Lifey living in leisure
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-26-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote