1. Default San Francisco to Atlanta in early January

Hi,

I am planning a last minute road trip from San Francisco to Atlanta with two friends from the 29th of December to the 11th of January.

I have plotted a route (below) and I would be most grateful for any advice.
    - We originally planned to finish in Miami but have been told that it's just too far but is finishing in Atlanta still too optimistic?
    - Are there any weather conditions we should be wary of?
    - Keen to know things to see along the way
    - Interested in any suggested changes to the route i.e. upping the mileage on some sections that have less to see to have more time in others.
    - Does anyone know of online resources that show sunset and sunrise times?

Route - I have used AAA Directions for mileage and times

29th - Fly in at lunctime to San Fran
    30th - Leave San Fran after lunch for Yosemite - 195 miles - 4 hours.
    31st Leave in the morning for Vegas - 471.8 miles 7hrs 45mins.
    1st - Leave Vegas for Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon - 275 miles 4hrs 52 mins then Grand Canyon to see sun set over Monument Valley - 176.1 miles 4 hrs 28 mins
    2nd & 3rd - Sunrise over Monument Valley then to El Paso over two days - 594 miles - 9hrs 46 mins
    4th & 5th - El Paso to San Antonio - 549m 8hrs 14 mins
    6th - San Antonio to Austin - 78.6m 1hr 13mins
    7th - Austin to Lafayette via Houston 374miles 6hrs 45 mins.
    8th - Lafayette to New Orleans - 134m 2hrs 18mins
    9th & 10th - New Orleans to Atlanta - 465.4 miles 7hrs drive (Haven't decided on itinarary)
    11th - Fly to London

Thanks,

Adam

Default a few details

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you've got a pretty good plan and outline, except where you're really trying to cram too much in at the very start of your trip.
    30th - Leave San Fran after lunch for Yosemite - 195 miles - 4 hours.
    31st Leave in the morning for Vegas - 471.8 miles 7hrs 45mins.
    You really won't have time to see much at this pace. If you don't leave for Yosemite until after lunch, you won't get to the park until its nearly dark. If you're going to do this, then I'd leave first thing in the morning, so you can spend the afternoon at Yosemite.

Since you have to go around via Bakersfield to Vegas (Tioga Pass is closed for the winter), your looking at a full day on the road to then get to Vegas. If you leave Yosemite first thing in the morning, it will still be evening by the time you get to Vegas, which doesn't leave much time at all when you want to race onto the Grand Canyon the next morning.

1st - Leave Vegas for Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon - 275 miles 4hrs 52 mins then Grand Canyon to see sun set over Monument Valley - 176.1 miles 4 hrs 28 mins
    That's just not going to work. There's too much driving and not enough daylight to make it from Vegas, stop for the Dam, drive to the Canyon, and then continue onto Monument Valley. In addition to the 10 hours of driving, you'll likely see traffic delays at Hoover Dam, and you'll have to wait at the enterance gate to the Grand Canyon.

If you do a web search for "sunrise/sunset" times and input a city, you should be able to find exact times. I believe you'll be looking at a sunset at the Grand Canyon of 5-5:30pm. Because you are dealing with the shortest days of the year, I don't think it would be possible to do everything you are talking about during daylight hours. You'd either have to be at Hoover Dam before Sunrise or at Monument Valley after sunset.

I'd plan to spend the night near the Grand Canyon and watch the sunrise/sunset from there.

2nd & 3rd - Sunrise over Monument Valley then to El Paso over two days - 594 miles - 9hrs 46 mins
    4th & 5th - El Paso to San Antonio - 549m 8hrs 14 mins
    Interestingly, after you race through the Southwest, you actually give yourself more than enough time for the other legs of your trip. Even if you didn't leave from the Grand Canyon until the 2nd, you could do a quick tour of Monument Valley and get to El Paso by the night of the 3rd pretty easily, and the next leg onto San Antonio could be done in one day if you don't plan to wander too far off the interstate.

You could also make it from Austin to New Orleans or New Orleans to Atlanta in a day.

I think you do need to readjust things a bit, but ultimately, it comes down to what your priorities are and where you want to spend your time. If you want to visit the places in the Southwest that you've talked about, then you need to give yourself more time there. If places like Texas and New Orleans are a priority then you need to plan to do a little bit less in the Southwest. Getting to Atlanta seems possible, but you might want to shorten things up and finish in New Orleans or Houston if seeing the south isn't a big priority.

Default Out Here in the Real World

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

In looking over your planned itinerary, it seems that you've been relying a little too much on the estimates that you get from computer-based mapping routines. Those are notoriously unreliable and are based on 'virtual' reality rather than the school of hard knocks. Take for example your plan to drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas in "77hrs 45mins". While I think you've taken this into account, the road over Tioga Pass (CA-120) is closed and you'll have to come all the way back east into the Central Valley and proceed to Las Vegas via Fresno, Bakersfield and Barstow. Also, you (unlike the software) will have to be fed and watered, your car will need gas, other traffic will also be using the roads, etc. This is an all day drive, and will get you into Las Vegas after dark and with little energy or desire to sample its attractions. The same thing applies the next day. It would be an all day trip from Las Vegas to, say Kayenta via the Grand Canyon, leaving time only to get out of the car, look over the rim and wish that you had left yourself more time for the Canyon.

The rest of your itinerary is much more reasonable, leaving time to see some of the sights that you're spending so much time driving to. So my main recommendation would be to transfer at least a day from the later half of your trip to those first few days. At 3,400 miles, this trip is certainly possible over 12 days or so, but you will have to keep your eye on the calendar. Some places you may want to consider visiting as you progress eastward include White Sands National Monument, the Alamo, and River Walk in San Antonio, the Creole Nature Trail, the French Quarter in New Orleans, and the Gulf Islands National Seashore.

AZBuck