Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Honeymoon!!

1. Default Our Honeymoon!!

Hi All, first post here so forgive ramblings!

We're taking our Honeymoon at the start of Aug 09 and flying back around 24th - this will give us around 3 weeks....

There is SO much to see and do over there, but we have to be realistic and we don't want to spend all day every day driving, but want to get a feel of the "real" America, see some small towns, meet Americans.

We do want to pull up by a lake, make a cup of tea, relax and just enjoy being there...

We DEFINATELY want to see.....

The Giant Redwood trees
    At least one National park (poss Yosemite if we have to stick to one)
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas

We will fly into a major city - our choices are San Fran, LA or San Diego (we don't really mind which) and will spend a few days there chilling out before beginning our adventure and picking up an RV.

We are not sure whether to have the RV for the whole trip, or swap it for a car/motels after visiting certain areas. We would also not mind taking internal flights at some points to cut out long drives if necessary to get us to another area - eg LA to Eureka, or Eureka to Las Vegas.

We would appreciate advice on the best routes, best places to see, where to go via, where to stop off, anywhere to avoid, perhaps places not on the "normal" tourist routes but that are all the better for that.

Thanking everyone in advance

Grant and Melanie.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by grantmidsummernight View Post
    At least one National park
    You've just mentioned three:
    Redwood
    Yosemite
    Grand Canyon

We will fly into a major city - our choices are San Fran, LA or San Diego (we don't really mind which) and will spend a few days there chilling out before beginning our adventure and picking up an RV.
    We have tips for vacationing with an RV, here and here.

We are not sure whether to have the RV for the whole trip, or swap it for a car/motels after visiting certain areas.
    That ultimately depends on the type of experience you want to have. Are you looking to be able to have a campfire at a campground each night, enjoying the outside air, or is that not on the top of your list? Perhaps you're looking for a romantic, secluded place to spend a couple of nights to enjoy each other's company?

At least one route you may want to consider is the Pacific Coast Highway, though I would recommend taking a rental car along this stretch of road rather than an RV.

Default Congratulations

We're taking our Honeymoon at the start of Aug 09 and flying back around 24th - this will give us around 3 weeks....
    Congratulations Grant and Melanie on your forth coming wedding. Some honeymoon ! and 3 weeks is a nice amount of time to explore some of the Southwest.

There is SO much to see and do over there, but we have to be realistic and we don't want to spend all day every day driving, but want to get a feel of the "real" America, see some small towns, meet Americans.
    There is a lot, but you can get a nice balance of resting up and driving that suits you and still be able to see lots of the diversity . You will get to meet lots of Americans [nice bunch they are ;-) ] and it will be much harder to find "fake" America than "real". No problems there then and you will stumble across lots of little towns and the scenery and diversity between A and getting to B is amazing.

We DEFINATELY want to see.....

The Giant Redwood trees
    At least one National park (poss Yosemite if we have to stick to one)
    Grand Canyon
    You have plenty of time to explore various parks including the ones mentioned above. Although nearer to Yosemite you get to see more of the giant Sequoia trees in Sequoia N.P. [as well as in Yosemite itself] rather than the Redwoods.
    Other parks I would recommend are Zion, Bryce canyon and a trip across Death valley.

We do want to pull up by a lake, make a cup of tea, relax and just enjoy being there.
    Thats the beauty of travelling in an R.V you can choose the view you dine at. Yosemite is great for this and one of my favorite places.

We are not sure whether to have the RV for the whole trip, or swap it for a car/motels after visiting certain areas. We would also not mind taking internal flights at some points to cut out long drives if necessary to get us to another area - eg LA to Eureka, or Eureka to Las Vegas
    As Tim said, it depends on the individual but personally with so many places to see it would be possible to work out an itinerary with short journeys and plenty of stops. You could either do a loop or start and finish your journey at different locations, creating a one way trip. This would cost more with a one way drop off charge but just the once. If you are going to rent go one way, get flights, rent again e.t.c it can not only get costly but be time consuming as well.

We would appreciate advice on the best routes, best places to see, where to go via, where to stop off, anywhere to avoid, perhaps places not on the "normal" tourist routes but that are all the better for that.
    It's a very popular area to visit and here are some ideas for visiting the southwest. You will notice the "San Francisco loop" within which is based on my own tour in an R.V. which might be useful.

Have a look around the forums by using the search button and look in the road trip planning pages and once you start to put some ideas together pop back and we can help you piece it together for a honeymoon you won't forget.

Dave

Default mixing and matching

Three weeks will give you quite a bit of time to explore, but certainly as you are finding there are a whole bunch of things to pick from.

As far as your transportation goes, personally, I'd think that if you are going to go with renting an RV, you might as well do it for your whole trip. One of the biggest advantages of having an RV is that you're able to just bit in it and call it home. Checking in and out of an RV or a rental car takes time away from your trip.

Switching between transportation methods is also going to cost extra money. You'll lose the advantage of longer term rates, plus you could be looking at additional fees for one way drop offs (and limited locations for drop offs with an RV).

Unless you're going to be in one city for a fairly long term period, I'd just rent on RV for the whole trip. If you do want to stop and start and take internal flights, then I think I'd skip the RV idea and just go with rental cars.

Default trees

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Although nearer to Yosemite you get to see more of the giant Sequoia trees in Sequoia N.P. [as well as in Yosemite itself] rather than the Redwoods.
    Just to be clear (because it certainly can be confusing), Giant Sequoia trees are different from the Giant Redwoods you'll find along the Northern California coast. This thread discusses the differences between the two. They both are amazing, and you wouldn't go wrong seeing either one of these great areas.

Default San Diego

We have a recent article about San Diego that may help you decide whether or not you want to visit that fine city. The writing is geared toward using the public transit system for your visit, but you certainly don't have to do that to visit the places mentioned.

7. Default Which way round???!!

Hi
    We are still in the early stages of honeymoon planning but have finally decided where we want to go. Now we need advice on the best way to do it:

Option 1: Fly to SF, pick up RV, see parks (Yosemite, Tahoe etc). Back to SF. Drop off RV. Hire car drive to LA. Then onto San Diego and finally to Vegas then fly home.

Option 2: Fly to LA, pick up car drive to SF. Leave car and collect RV. See parks (Yosemite, Tahoe etc). Back to SF. Drop off RV. Then fly to Vegas and fly home.

Option 3: Fly to San Diego pick up car, drive to SF via LA. Pick up RV, see parks. Back to SF leave RV then fly to Vegas.

I think option 3 is our favourite but we're not sure. We want to avoid doubling back as much as possible and wanted a car probably rather than an RV to do the coast road. I know a one way RV trip is not possible at this time of year so I guess either way we need to collect RV and drop in SF or LA. Apart from that any suggestions welcome.

Thanks xx
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 01-05-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Merged - Please don't create new threads to ask new questions about this trip

Default none of the above

Quite frankly, I think all of your plans seem to be a bit flawed. They certainly require a lot of backtracking and needless flying legs.

I think a big part of your problem is that you are going off of the premise that you can't do a one way trip in an RV, which simply isn't true. This is peak travel season, and one way trips between California and Las Vegas are very common.

9. Default

Oh, we were told by our travel agent that at peak season it's not possible to do a one way trip. If we can do a one way trip (which made sense to us and was what we origially wanted to do) which route would you suggest?

Thanks

Default Hub City: Las Vegas

If it were me, I would fly to Las Vegas, pick up the RV and make a circle tour including stops at Yosemite, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego(?) and back to Las Vegas....

Mark