1. Default From SF bay to South Alabama

Hi everyone
    I will be driving from San Francisco Bay area to South Alabama for school there. I heard that parts of this route have snows. If there are snows on the free way, is it safe to drive there? I'm driving with my dad.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default it happens everyday

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Yes, it is certainly possible that you would see snow or ice on any route that you'd chose between SF and Alabama. Of course, there is frequently snow on the ground and on the road in many parts of the country, and yet people keep driving. Freeways will get the first priority to be plowed and salted, so the conditions should stay pretty good in all but the worst snowstorms (where they can and will close down a freeway).

When it comes right down to it, the principals of dealing with snow isn't that much different than dealing with any other weather event (rain, wind, fog, etc). Slow down and drive within your comfort level. If conditions have reached a point where you are unable to maintain complete control of the car, then stop and wait for the conditions to improve. Here are some more tips for safe winter travels.

Joplin MO

If you are concerned about snow, no route is always totally clear in the winter, but your best bet without going way out of your way would be I-5 to LA, then I-210 to I-10 all the way. This is about 80 miles longer than the shortest, most direct route, but is nominally only about 15 minutes longer unless you get jammed up in LA traffic. I measured to Mobile, by the way.

4. Default

Just check out weather forecasts and don't panic if you see snow. The interstates are very well-kept.

I agree with GLC that traveling south first would be a good idea. You'll probably be able to avoid snow altogether if you drive down to I-10, but I read that it snowed in Lake Charles, Louisiana this past week, so anything is possible. Just do what Midwest Michael suggests...if you see snow, drive at a safe speed and just allow for extra time.

Good hiking,