1. Default Advice on Toronto, Washington DC, Florida trip in DEC

We are driving from Toronto to Gainesville Florida for Christmas. We are really,really tired of the two usual ways of getting to Florida (via I75 and the route thro the mountains VA,NC,SC) I was thinking of maybe going down via I95 thro Washington DC, spend one night in DC, then the next night in Georgia maybe Hilton Head and continue to Florida on day three. Has anyone done this trip in the winter?

Any suggestions about places to stay and things to see on the way would be appreciated. Or am I nuts and we should stick to the two more direct routes... thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default New Roads

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

One of my favorite routes from central New York state to Washington pretty much follows US-15 down the Susquehanna River valley. I have done this trip in the winter, and if the weather is clear it can be quite nice. If there is significant snow, however, taking this route could tax your skills and your car's limits. In that case, the Interstate route, I-90 west to Erie, then I-79 south to around Pittsburgh and finally I-76/I-70 to Washington would be the route of choice.

From Washington, I-95 south is the most straightforward road to Gainesville, but other than being 'different' I don't think you'll find it as interesting as the routes you're complaining of being tired of. Still, novelty has its appeal. Florence, SC would be about the half way point and I wouldn't try to get much past Savannah, GA in any case.