1. Default Looking for inspiration

My wife and I are considering taking a month out to make a roadtrip in the USA (we are from Scotland), but we are looking for some inspiration for route.

I have done a road trip before, which was from Denver to Houston, New Orleans, to Orlando, whereafter the plan was to go up the east coast to New York and Boston, but due to a family bereavement, I went home from Orlando. Because of that I quite fancy doing a route up the east coast.

That said, I've never been anywhere west if
    Colorado, so the west coast is attractive. My wife also is keen to see LA and do ranch riding, white water rafting - basically have an adventure without too much planning.

Finally, having lived near Denver for 14 months, I know a number of people in the area and I would to go back and let my wife see the Rockies in all their magnificent glory.

Budget for the month is not really fixed yet, but will probably be in the region of $4500 and we trying to work out the comparative benefits of getting a rental car and motel / hoteling it or getting an RV and campsiting it.

As you see inspiration is really needed and I'm only putting this in the sumner forum in a attempt to fix some aspect of the idea! It may end up being late some early fall.

Ideas and discussion please

Many thanks

John

Default Found it !

Hi John and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

There are endless opportunity's in the Southwest for great places to visit, and with a month at hand you have a nice amount of time.
    Have you considered a one way trip ? You could start out from the West coast from San Fran L/A or San Diego for instance and enjoy a "Big finish" in Denver catching up with old friends. This would carry an extra charge on your rental though.

I like San Fran as a city but I also included it as you could head down the beautiful Pacific coast highway through Big Sur e.t.c. to L/A. [S/D]
    From L/A or S/D to Denver you have so many options, some of these would include, Joshua tree N.P, Mojave desert, Death valley, Las Vegas, Grand canyon, Monument valley, the stunning parks of Utah such as, Zion N.P., Bryce canyon, Capitol reef, Arches before getting into Colorado which you are prob familiar with it's beauty.

Hopefully that will get your creative juices flowing, get the map out, search the forums and start putting a route together. [I really enjoy the planning part of the trip] Once you have done so I am sure we can help you piece it together to make it a trip to remember.

A couple of links that might help you, The N.P.S. site where you can get info on all parks. If you plan to visit a few then it's worth purchasing the annual pass, it'll save you money after about 4 visits. And here's some good info on travelling around the West.

and we trying to work out the comparative benefits of getting a rental car and motel / hoteling it or getting an RV and campsiting it.
    Here's a list of pro's and cons. You will find that with just the two of you the R.V will be the dearer of the two options.

As you see inspiration is really needed and I'm only putting this in the sumner forum in a attempt to fix some aspect of the idea! It may end up being late some early fall.
    Fall is my favorite time to travel, when the heat and the crowds are bearable.

Dave.

If it becomes a fall trip, the East Coast and New England can be spectacular with the leaves changing. It gets pretty busy up there with all the other leaf peepers though. Dave has covered the Southwest very well, the scenery is totally different. I guess it all depends on what you think will inspire you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by minioak View Post

As you see inspiration is really needed........

Ideas and discussion please
    Nothing like spending hours reading the forums. There is more inspiration and ideas here than I have ever seen anywhere.

Lifey who needs another 10 trips to see it all

Default Tight budget

Quote Originally Posted by minioak View Post
    Budget for the month is not really fixed yet, but will probably be in the region of $4500 and we trying to work out the comparative benefits of getting a rental car and motel / hoteling it or getting an RV and campsiting it.
    That budget seems tight. Renting a car for a month will be in the $1200-1500 range, lodging another $2100+; add in for fuel and you're pretty close to the limit right there. And you still have to eat, pay fees, etc.