1. Default L.A. to D.C., 9 days, three kids

We're moving from L.A. to D.C. this summer, I'd like to take the opportunity to see the country a little on our way there. Here's what I'm thinking, please inform if my itinerary is insanity. We could take a few more days if we had to.

1. L.A. to Las Vegas
    2. Las Vegas to Salt Lake City
    3. Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, WY
    4. Cheyenne to Rapid City, S.D.
    5. Rapid City to Sioux City, SD
    6. Here's where I need help, it's too far to Chicago for one day, where do we stop here on our way to Chicago??
    7. ??? to Chicago
    8. Chicago to Cleveland
    9. Cleveland to D.C.

I'd like to hit Mount Rushmore, some cool parks, see some good scenery, I have to do more research on pit stops.

I have no idea what I'm doing planning this trip, so any advice at all would be welcome. I'd like to keep the driving to 5 or 6 hours a day, if possible.

Default Nice Pace

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If by "keeping the driving to 5 or 6 hours a day", you mean hitting the road at 10 AM and calling it a day at 4 PM, then, no, this is not going to work. If each and every minute of those 6 hours is spent behind the wheel and fuel, food, rest and sight seeing stops are all extra, then you just might be able to keep up that mileage count, although there will be some days (SLC to Cheyenne and other over 400 mile legs) that will require more time 'in the saddle' than that, but are still quite comfortable. There are certainly plenty of cool parks not far off the Interstates that will let you make frequent short stops as you progress across the country. A good halfway stop between Sioux City and Chicago would be either Iowa City (home to the University of Iowa) or the Amana Colonies a bit north of there. Otherwise, 9 days does let you set a very relaxed pace that will let you get off the big highways and see a bit of America besides the side of the road.

AZBuck

Default there's no such place as Sioux City, SD

5. Rapid City to Sioux City, SD
    Question here, are you stopping in Sioux City Iowa or Sioux Falls South Dakota?

The follow-up question is are you planning to go via I-90 or I-80 for this trip? (Sioux Falls is on I-90, but you'd go through Sioux City on I-29 as you head south to I-80)

If you are just planning to drive through Chicago, I would take the I-80 route through Iowa as suggested by Buck. Iowa City would be roughly the halfway point if you start in Sioux City, but if you're starting in Sioux Falls, then Des Moines would be a more even mid-point.

If you are planning to stop in the city of Chicago, then I would take I-90. The halfway point would be LaCrosse, WI, which sits right along the Mississippi River. There are several parks where you can take advantage of the river, like Riverside Park in downtown LaCrosse, or the Lock and Dam/Rest Area right off I-90 on the Minnesota side. There are also excellent overlooks to look down on the valley the tops of the bluffs on both sides of the river.

4. Default Oops, my bad.

That would be Sioux Falls, SD I was thinking of. Thanks for the good suggestions.

I'm kind of torn right now between taking part of Route 66, then heading on to DC, which will be hot in the summer but will have more to see and do, or heading north through a part of the country none of us have ever seen.

I think we might have to submit it to a family vote...

Quote Originally Posted by scastellanos View Post
    I'm kind of torn right now between taking part of Route 66, then heading on to DC, which will be hot in the summer but will have more to see and do, or heading north through a part of the country none of us have ever seen.
    Out of curiousity, why do you think that there would be less to see and do if you take a more northern route?

I could spend easily spend a couple weeks in the Black Hills alone, and I bet you'd learn alot by reading an excellent field report from South Dakota.

I've also notice that you didn't include a stop at Yellowstone or the Tetons, which would be pretty easy to work into your plans.

Getting family input is a great idea, but I wouldn't discount places just because they aren't as familiar either.