We're moving from L.A. to D.C. this summer, I'd like to take the opportunity to see the country a little on our way there. Here's what I'm thinking, please inform if my itinerary is insanity. We could take a few more days if we had to.
1. L.A. to Las Vegas
2. Las Vegas to Salt Lake City
3. Salt Lake City to Cheyenne, WY
4. Cheyenne to Rapid City, S.D.
5. Rapid City to Sioux City, SD
6. Here's where I need help, it's too far to Chicago for one day, where do we stop here on our way to Chicago??
7. ??? to Chicago
8. Chicago to Cleveland
9. Cleveland to D.C.
I'd like to hit Mount Rushmore, some cool parks, see some good scenery, I have to do more research on pit stops.
I have no idea what I'm doing planning this trip, so any advice at all would be welcome. I'd like to keep the driving to 5 or 6 hours a day, if possible.