1. Default Toronto to Ft. Myers Beach at Christmas with three dogs.

Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this fourm! My wife and I and our three furry friends are traveling to Florida on Christmas eve taking the I77 route out of Buffalo NY. We're hoping to make it at least half way the first day however depends on weather and how well the dogs travel that long in the car.

Looking for any suggestions re: dog friendly motels somewhere after Charlotte or any driving tips/routes you can offer from Toronto.

It's our first time driving down.

Thanks for your help.

Tucson, AZ

Default Limits

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Toronto to Ft. Myers is nearly 1,500 miles by the most efficient route possible. While we occasionally hear from people who push themselves that far in as little as two days, it is not something that I can recommend. My own personal experience with driving with a dog (an English Setter) was that he needed to get out of the car for some exercise, not just potty breaks, every few hours. And while he was fine for about 500 miles a day, too much longer than that and he was constantly standing behind me licking my ear - his sign that he had had enough. So my first suggestion is that you plan on taking three days for this drive and enjoy it a bit more than just doing what you have to to get there in the least amount of time.

In any event, there are plenty of national, state and local parks along the way for you to give the dogs some exercise in, although most probably require that they be on a leash. As for finding motels that take dogs, I generally suggest that people do a web search on {cityname motel} and see what comes up. There will be a few comparison sites that will give prices, amenities and user reviews that should guide you in the right direction, but a call to the actual motel (not the chain headquarters) would probably be in order to make sure that three dogs is not one or two too many.

3. Default

Thanks very much!

Default Pet friendly hotels

I frequently roadtrip with my dog, its doable if you prepare for it. I usually find hotels through Expedia, there is a "sortable" by pet friendly option in the results for a particular area. Be careful, though. I always call the hotels directly (the local number, not the 800) and confirm their pet policy. Many places that claim they take pets have weight limits of 25 or 50 pounds.
    I would think they might have rules about numbers of dogs, also. Best to know before hand.

AZ Buck is right, my dog gets pretty antsy after 2 1/2 hours in the car, so rest stops are needed.
    Good luck.